Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by usernamessuck, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ok my band is starting to make it big by playing in big venues and concert halls.

ok now my concern august 13 will be my first BIG show opening up for Wasp at harpos in detroit michigan.

i have a bad case of stage fright. i cant even give a speech in class
    i dont want to screw up and screw everyone else up cause everyone ll be mad at me and want to kick my butt!

HELP!

Give me some advice what do you do?

im only 16 and wow...

i would appreciate any advice or techniques anybody uses

cheezncrackers2006@yahoo.com

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just play like you're at practice. Usually a sound mix at big places is never good enough that your mistakes will sound that huge. As long as you don't let on that you messed up, nobody else will know (most times).

3. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    nice gig, congratulations. best advice is be prepared. be fully prepared. be more than fully prepared.

practice the entire set solo, in the dark, gain muscle memory. practice at slower than normal tempos, and faster tempos. rehearse a lot with the band once everyone has done their homework, become greater than the sum of the parts.

get plenty of rest, healthy food and drink (party afterwards). be logistically prepared (know the backline setup, monitor/vocal mic situation, backup bass, clothes) - in other words try not to let any of the non-performance issues get in the way.

all this should allow you to perform at your best. and knowing that you've done everything in your power to perform at your best should take the majority of worry away. then realize that things will probably not go exactly as planned (few things do). and above all enjoy yourself.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    HAHAHAH Wasp...

sorry...

The more confident that you are that you know your songs as well as you possibly can, the more confident you will be on stage.

And take a deep breath every now and then and you'll be fine. Oxygen is your friend.