Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Jul 24, 2005.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i currently own an swr 550 head with a goliath 3 cab and im looking for a 2nd cab but im not sure which to go with.... the swr big ben 18 inch , the son of bertha 15 inch or even a 2nd goliath 3, i want a really punchy low sound.

thank you.

2. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I would suggest listening the cabs to see which combination sounds best. However, with that being said...10's are punchier that 15's, which are slower to respond, even more so with 18's. This doesn't mean that 15's or 18's sound worse than 10's just different.

I prefer 10's and I use a 2x10/4x10 stack in my rig...

Hope this helps,

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'm no SWR guru, but I have heard that the triad (115+110) makes a great stand alone cab, maybe thats what your looking for?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wow, I've heard nothing but the opposite: that the Triad is great in concept, but just doesn't do either spectrum very well in reality. At least from the posts and reviews I read, it was a dissappointment.

I'd recommend AGAINST an 18, unless you need to fill the back of a large room from the stage. It will not develop its lows until probably farther than you are standing from your rig . . . IME. I'd go with a 15 or a 212, personally.

5. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I agree with Eric. Let the house do it's work. Your rig is really there for stage volume. That's one reason I choose Avatar cabs....you really can't beat their quality sound for the money and since I only need to fill the stage....

6. As the proud owner of the Son of Bertha and the Goliath III andd the 750x, I would say go with the 15. You'd be surprised at how much more bass you get with a 15 than another 4x10. I would recommend against an 18, one reason being that you don't have the headroom to push it. The second is that 18s are unpredictable and the sound quality relies a lot more on the room. When I first got my Goliath III I was surprised at how much punchiness it added and just to see the differences, I unhooked it, and plugged in the Son of Bertha. Then I plugged both in and got a very well balance of tone. My point is that the 15 will reveal more of the low end sound of your bass. An 18 would be overkill.

The thing I wish I had done was to buy a Megoliath. The only thing that stopped me was the portability.

7. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    While the 15 may give you deeper bass or boomier bass, the 4x10 will give a lot more punch. It all breaks down to a 1x15=15" to move air and a 4x10=40" to move air. That's a pretty big difference.

Sonically, the sound difference is the reason to choose between the two, not which one will give you more bass....as the 4x10 always will.