1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice pls: Decent combo for my Sterling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    :meh:
    I have really been through the ringer trying to find decent companionship for my sterling, and my now-backup 2tek cruisebass. Both 4-bangers and I always play detuned a whole step [low D]

I need a good, quick-punch combo with lotta headroom, hopefully with the ability to pick it up one-hand, but at this point I would sacrifice one-handedness for the right chops.

I keep going back to my ancient WM 12 with an extension because the Eden wt400, Hartke350, Behringer [kept for exactly one day], Yorkville XS400 heads I've been through, with couple of different cabs, do not sound good with the bright Sterling.
    I'm driving the WM 12 + ext-cab at an unreasonable level so its puffy and whooshy, no punch. at least its warm though.
    Almost jumped on an Eden Metro but I hear they are not reliable. thought it sounded decent

Played a NEOX 112 yesterday, and a newer WM 15, and a bunch of Ampeg cheap combos. Didn't like anything except the NEOX and the bigger WM. Played a new Fender [I forget the model but it was a highpowered one with a 15] and it had a serious flaw. needs to be repaired.
    The NEOX seems to have a ton of headroom but again I was having trouble getting a serious bottom that would match to the rest of the spectrum. Cut the mids back and that helped. Extended the bottom and that helped, but theres something about that little combo that bugged me. I also played a range of GK's, liked the 700RB through several GK cabs. Maybe that's the way....

I can pay 800 to 1000 and always prefer to buy used IF I can....

Pls advise, you who have been where I is.:confused:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The GK stuff always sounds great to my ears, and I don't think you can go wrong there. Something to consider, but have you looked into avatar cabs? I used to own a B410Neo, and that was one of the punchiest cabs I've ever used. It had a great tone to it, and was never muddy. It can handle a ton of watts and I've pushed it hard, and it never had a problem. Here is what I would definitely recommend for the sound you are looking for:

Avatar B410Neo: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/B410 NEO.htm
    GK 700RB-II: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-700RBII-Bass-Head?sku=482587

If you can swing the extra cash, you may want to look into the GK 1001RB-II for the extra headroom.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Do you really HAVE to have a combo? Witht the amount of used heads and cabs floating around Id say that was your best bet.

New, hows about a GK combo? Theres the new neo or the fantastic RBH series.

But I bet there loads of used GK floating around, and you did say you liked it.

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    no Jack, I don't insist on combo. been mixing cabs and heads for awhile just worn out with things that don't get the job done! I was thinking some sort of Genz Benz head [400 or 600... in fact bid on a 6 recently but missed by a narrow margin!]. I have had an Avatar 15 before but I think I went too compact. It didn't really have the huevos.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The Genz Benz stuff is great, and you can't go wrong there either. I owned a genz benz 212Neox and it performed great for gigs. I've used a number of their heads as well, but never found them to sound quite as nice as the GK stuff. Also, don't overlook that Avatar B410Neo. That cab will amaze you.

6. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    Carvin BRX212 combo

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

This is also a very good choice!