1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

advice plz - bass cab buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babebambi, May 1, 2009.

1. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I noticed a slight buzz coming from my 410 during practice tonight. It's an Goliath I with original Eden drivers. I can only hear the buzz when right next to the cab, and the buzz originated near the top left speaker. Buzz only when playing the bass, not the background noise type. And buzz with all different basses I tried.

The buzz is very faint, if I am more than two feet away, its barely noticeable. And with lower volume, its gone totally.

I wonder if I could have damaged anything when doing a 9V battery test on the said cab just before the practice. The drivers really moved :eek:

Gonna open the cab up maybe this weekend, to check for tear, leak, loose wire. Any advice on what else to look for?

Thx.

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Wow - these can be a bugger. My experience is that the buzzing is almost never the cab. It's something else in the chain; usually crappy technique. Be sure that's not the case.
    Best maybe to have a buddy listen while you play and stand aside. But it is likely distortion from amp or maybe even from the bass itself.

3. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Wow, quick reply, thx.
    Yeah, I don't have the best technique, but that's not it in this case

I swapped the 410 with another 210, no buzz.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi babebambi.

I'm unfamiliar with your cab. Does it have a tweeter? If so, could that be the source of the buzzing?

If not, then loose wires or hardware screws may be the culprit.

Do you have your amp head on top of your cab? Could something in it be buzzing?

5. I allways start by making sure that all of the screws for the Speakers,handles and jackplate are tight.
    There have been a few cabs that make noise out of the 1/4 jack on the plate so people fill it with a ear plug or something.
    My next step would be to pull the grill off and strike the note or have someone else strike the note that is the worst and then feel around and push on the corners,face,sides,handles,speaker frame,jackplate etc wherever and see if it goes away.
    Then the last thing I will do if I cant make it go away is to pull the speaker out and hold it in my hand while striking the note and if it does it while the speaker is in your hand then you know that it is coming from the speaker itself.
    my .02

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Does it have spring loaded handles?
    Sometimes they can rattle and make you think you have a blown speaker.

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    The cab does have a HF horn, but it was disabled.
    I will try all these suggestion this weekend, thx a lot.
    The handles is so obvious yet I somehow never thought of that.

The buzz is really faint, and I had to be playing at a considerable volume to recreate it. Then practically plant my face to the grill to hear it. I don't want to blow my ears working on it this weekend. Anybody know of a frequency sweep kinda test (or any other such techniques) to review potential problem with such a cab, with lower volume?

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    You missed my idea of you playing it, but having your BUDDY put his ear up to it.
    ;)

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi babebambi.

Even though your cab's horn has been disconnected, it (or its X-over components and/or wiring) may buzzing in sympathetic vibration.

--------

There was a link to some tone generator software floating around here a while ago, but I can't remember what it's called.

Here's a Open Source one for Windows which I've just found but have never used: SineGen 2.3