1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice regarding a 2nd-Hand Peavey Foundation Bass vintage USA 1987 for sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan the Lion, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi everyone! I'm a short-term viewer, first-time poster.

I'm searching for a Jazz bass and I've come across a Peavey Foundation Bass vintage USA 1987 with the Super Ferrite pickups.
    I've seen some threads on here about them, but they are pretty old and I wish to know (I'd haggle anyway) if this is worth the price (it includes a case) of 590 euro.
    Below are the details (I've translated it from German; I'm based in Germany!)

It was built in 1987 according to the serial number and is in a very good, unmodified, original condition with only a few unavoidable signs of use. It functions and is playable straightaway and currently has GHS Precision Flats in 45-150 installed.
    This bass is the sought after 1st series with the triangular-shaped tailpiece and the bridge with comes with the massive tabs in addition to the legendary great sounding Super Ferrite pickups.

The city is not too far away from me and of course, I would test it but I wanted to see if this was worth it. Again, I will haggle anyway but I would like the informed members of this forum to give me a real, good insight.
    Below are the pictures
    $_59.jpg
    $_59.jpg
    $_59.jpg
    $_59.jpg

It's 590 euro or about 760 something dollars, which seems a bit steep.
    I'm a relatively beginner bassist that's learning quickly. I considered a Schecter Omen Extreme 4, but it's not something I can afford until way later in the year and whilst I have a decent beginner bass (Lindo Precision 4-string - Purple Dove), I need one for doing rehearsals and the like which will last me long term.
    If I do get this bass, I would modify it by getting Rotosound strings and a black cherry paint job.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is the wrong forum. I swear, I did use the search function! :)
    PS: I'm a lefty.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Shawn Luckman and TN WOODMAN like this.
  2. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    I really have my eye on the Schecter Omen Extreme 4 in Black Cherry and have done for a few months, but as I'm a beginner it probably doesn't matter what instrument I learn on (I have a very budget bass to learn with).
    If I do get the Schecter, I will modify it.

shadven likes this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Welcome to the forum!

I've never even seen a lefty Foundation, and that one seems to be in very nice shape. If you can bring the price down a bit it would be well worth it IMO, these are great basses.

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Prices in US and Eur. have been going up, so sometimes things don't seem like the bargains that they used to -- but a rare Lefty foundation of that year? That's a real deal instrument and one that you could be happy with for life. I recommend you purchase it if you can afford to.

5. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi ajkula66 and Standalone!

Thanks so much for the quick comments and insight! So, the price may be worth it? It does come with a case (which saves some money anyway!)
    In terms of this bass or the Schecter Omen Extreme 4, what would you go for? I know 'new' doesn't necessarily mean better, so that's to be taken into account.
    Right now, I can't really afford it (maybe in a month or two) but I shouldn't imagine anyone would snap it soon and the guy will only deliver within Germany anyway.
    Is this a bass I could play, say, A Portrait of Tracy with? (technically speaking). I'm nowhere near that level, but should I be and have flawless technique one day: would this bass be able to cut the mustard?
    If I do purchase this bass, I think I would get Rotosound strings and as mentioned in my previous post, I would like to change the colour. However, if these things rise in value or just having a 'wow' factor, then I may leave the finish to be standard with only the strings replaced.

Thanks again!

Standalone likes this.
  6. US made Peavey's are cool, and increasingly popular (hence the rather steep price tag).

For that kinda money, I would (a) make sure that the bass really speaks to me (tone, playability, visuals) and (b) never, ever refinish (because that will almost certainly decrease the value, and most likely not result in something nice).

BassToGoGo, Clutchcargo and furym like this.
  7. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Assuming it's in good shape, it's an excellent bass that will take you far if, as @Nekomata says, it speaks to you and you bond with it.
    However, that price feels quite quite steep IMHO. It feels outlandish for a bass you intend to refinish.

Good luck (and welcome to TB!).

8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Peaveys are not as common in Europe as they are within the U.S. and a lefty Foundation must be close to a unicorn. Personally, I'd rather have that than a Schecter that you're interested in but that's me. You can play pretty much anything on that bass, don't worry about that one bit. And please don't refinish it...

Well, the OP is in Europe and the prices are notably higher there. Not to mention that a LH Foundation is likely a once-in-a-lifetime find.

9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Yes, I took that into account as I composed my reply; perhaps I could have taken it more into account. :sorry:

I DO think a refin would be a mistake.

10. +1 to what everyone else says. It's a great bass, well worth picking up, but probably priced a little high.

TN WOODMAN and Ryan the Lion like this.
  11. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi cheapbasslovin, dakalski and Nekomata!

Thank you, too for your input!

Wow - I didn't expect this feedback! If it's such a uniform/rare find as you say, then I would keep it completely original save for the strings.

Everything is expensive here; you can get the same second-hand car in the US as you can in Germany with the same specs and you'll be paying 20-40% higher.

I was listening to some videos of this model being played and I think I like it! Well, I will send a message to the guy and ask of the price is negotiable and arrange to test it out.
    I wouldn't be able to buy it yet anyway, but I'll admit...I am now awfully tempted to get this instead of the Schecter (It's the black cherry colour and fret inlays I really like, to be fair).

If the seller isn't open to negotiating the price, it would still be a good purchase?
    I do think it's a little high but maybe I'll be able to negotiate it lower. I think it would be possible because there aren't too many lefties...

I won't refin it if I get it.

TN WOODMAN and Rocker47 like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In terms of quality, you would be getting a very nice bass for €590. In terms of resale, maybe not so much. If you keep it and use it, it will be money well spent. If you think you may end up flipping it, you should pass. Personally, given the cost of lefty basses. This is probably a good investment. That said, make sure the trussrod works, and get a wrench that will fit the trussrod. Peavey’s also have neck tilt adjustment. Leave that to luthier until you know what you are doing. Everything else on the Peavey is straightforward passive electronics.

TinIndian, Staccato, H2okie and 9 others like this.
  13. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Bingo. You're on the right track. @Dr. Cheese also gave you some excellent advice in his post.

fesem, Ryan the Lion and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi Dr. Cheese!

Thank you for your input! I would definitely get this for keeps and not for resale as a) it's clearly very rare, b) it would be hard to sell and c) I am someone who finds it hard to part with things (I still miss my old car which was from the 80s and the same age as me!).

Thank you again, ajkula66.
    I'll still be monitoring this thread, but I think I'm convinced and assured that this could be a solid investment musically.
    I've messaged the seller and will keep you all up-to-date. If the price is negotiable and I get it for quite a lot less, then taking it to a luthier won't be so bad. Is it worth always trading a 2nd hand bass to be checked out anyway?

And with regards to working in basses, I know nothin. I don't even know how to change the strings.
    Btw: would Rotosound strings be suitable for this bass?

Timmy Liam and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Well, it's a lefty and if you want a lefty from that year you're choices aren't going to be great. It's more than what I would pay for a Peavey Foundation, my offer would be $300 which is probably out of touch with the current market.

16. I'm trying very hard to think of a word steeper than "steep" :)

590€ is ridiculous, at even 300€ I'd consider it expensive. I've owned many Peaveys, even in Scotland I've picked up Foundations for £100.

Even if you desperately must have a left hand Foundation I'd suggest patience.

TinIndian likes this.
  17. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I would stay away from old basses,especially if your just starting out playing. I owned a peavey foundation in the 80s and never cared for the tone, kinda like a 2nd class jazz bass.
    I would buy new if you can,this bass could have all kinds of issues such as worn frets,bad truss rod etc. That may cost you even more money to fix.

18. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi MD-BassPlayer and kodiakblair,

Thanks for your input. I do agree that patience will be a virtue. I'll wait to see what the seller says, offer him a price (250-350 euros for both the bass and the case its in) and if they don't take it, then I'll see if the seller would change their mind. Peavey isn't that famous here and left-handed bass players are a rare breed; my friend, colleague and music teacher is well-connected (even has a friend who's played with Victor Wooten!) and he doesn't know any other lefties besides me.
    I think I could get this down. I don't think I would want to pay 590 euro if I can help it (I've a regular unskilled 9-5 job).
    I'll be honest: I would feel more comfortable getting a new bass, but then...well, old basses can still be good. I mean, people consider the Bass of Doom to be the holy grail of basses and that was quite old and second-hand when Jaco bought it, I think.

19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Right now I've got 6 foundations. The most I paid in the US was around $250. The least $70 for one that was beat up. They're going for quite a bit more now.

When I've opted to gig my favorite foundation it took the place of basses that cost 10 times as much.

Not that that's any help. They're great basses.

In the end... all you can do is try it out. The only caveat... due to their age, I've run a cross a couple where the truss rods were froze, or at least in need of care. At that price, I recommend testing the truss rod before you buy.

20. Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi TheReceder,

Thanks for your input! Do you (or anyone else) know what type of key/hex key is needed here and what should I look for with regards to inspecting the truss rod? Whether it doesn't turn, turns too much or just loose?
    I'm really a beginner with the bass and not even that when it comes to the hardware, checks etc...
    There's a luthier in my city (had him give my present bass a once over) that's good and reputable; he would do a whole setup for 60 euro:
    Translated from his site:
    As far as possible, a "setup" (or adjustment service) includes: adjusting/optimizing neck-body angle, truss rod tension, string action, intonation, pickup height, top saddle notches, tuners, strap pins, pots and switches. Also stringing and lubrication of string rest points. (strings cost extra, of course)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021