Advice regarding my American Deluxe P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbeers, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I just bought a new bass (should be arriving sometime late next week) and it occurred to me I might try to sell my current one (American Deluxe P). The problem is, I think there are some problems with the electronics, and I am no expert so I can't speak too well about the state of the neck.

The electronics problem is the following. For months I had this issue where the closer I moved my fingers to the pickups, the louder hum-type noise they would make. But if I touched anything metal on the instrument, the hum would go away. That issue actually has not happened for months and months, though. It still concerns me and I wouldn't want to sell the instrument without knowing everything was fine. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

One other electronics issue.... The volume knob works fine, the one that changes the pickup balance works fine, the stacked treble/mid works fine, but the bass knob is all messed up. It turns way too easily, doesn't seem to do anything, and often makes loud popping noises when I adjust it while the amp is on. This has been so annoying, it is one reason I decided to just get a new bass. Any clues as to what's going on?

Last but not least I just don't know how to evaluate the neck. It looks fine and seems to play fine, it feels fine.... But BG necks scare the heck out of me, as someone who primarily plays DB I'm the type of guy who is scared even to touch the truss rod. In fact in the several years I have owned the instrument, the only adjustment it has had has been in the shop (pretty infrequently). Last year I had a new nut made for the instrument... it seems to be of pretty high quality, in fact it seems to be made out of bone or something.

Other than all of these uncertainties, the instrument is in good shape. I have gigged with it very, very, very infrequently (maybe 5-10 times a year?) and I've been keeping it in a hard case. The case took a beating but protected the bass admirably. I guess my final question is whether it is even necessary for me to have work done on the instrument? I am currently at college and it would be sort of a pain for me to have anything done to it, nor certainly do I have the expertise to mess with any of it alone. Would it be absolutely necessary to resolve the electronics stuff before selling the instrument? I'd rather just post it for sale with the stipulation that it may require a small amount of work.

I'll link to a few pictures.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    How does the P/Humbucker combo sound?
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I had one of those basses but sold it because of similar issues mine was having. Is yours running off a single 9volt battery or 2? If its the single 9volt then its like what I had. Not alot of ppl are a fan of this preamp because the 9volt doesnt provide enough headroom for the electronics. Seeing as though your lower frequencies suck up more power, thats probably why you're getting that popping noise. Used to happen to me all the time. I honestly dont know anything you can do except take it to a reputable service shop and have them check it out. Hope everything works out for you.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You bought another bass to replace the bass you didn't have time to get its minor problems must be in college on a scholarship ;)

Nothing on that bass is an expensive or time consuming fix. Having said that, you could sell it with that disclaimer that it needs work, but you're going to take a beating on price if you do.