Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice required please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sicochild, Jun 16, 2002.

1. sicochild

sicochild

Jun 16, 2002
    Bonnybridge,UK
    Hi im new 2 the the world of playing bass and i needed advice on buying my first one any tips on the set up i should go for or model i dont have much money though so nuthing excessive in price but any good quality advice welcome thanks

2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Well, you don't want to spend too much on your first bass and rig, but you don't want to buy a toy either. Go with a quality entry level bass. A Squire jazz or precision bass would be a good starter. Yamaha and Ibenez also make decent starter basses. And go with a 1x10, or 1x15 practice amp. Buy something with enough power that you will be able to use later it in a band setting. Pevey makes quality stuff that won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    Buy some cables, a strap, and a tuner. You should be able to buy a usable setup for $200-$300. Search around for deals on used gear and you could do it for less. Good luck, and practice, practice, practice.

3. sicochild

sicochild

Jun 16, 2002
    Bonnybridge,UK
    thanks for the tips much appreciated