Advice: Squier body with Fender neck ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brozzy, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Hello chaps, would you have a peek at this one and let me know what it might actually be?

Fender Jazz Bass 5 string

1) The neck plate has nothing on it; 2) the decals are probably wrong, with no serial number, and where is the "Offset Body Contour" from; 3) and what do you think about the drill through for the low string? Good idea, bad idea?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The hole might help with low B string tightness. I don't really know. And I don't know the Canadian used bass market but 450 of any kind of dollars seems like waay too much.

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    It's a Squier bass with replaced decals as the add says. The owner obviously liked the bass and thought a fender decal looked better or gave it more 'cred. Funny thing is it lowers the value.

Looks pretty nice though overall.

I agree $450 is way too much. A four string MIM should go for $400. Think in terms of a 4 string squire and you get $100 and up for the better models. Personally I haven't tried a fender 5 I liked other than a dimension. Ridiculous price on a MIM 5 here a while back ($350 CAD I think) and still wasn't interested.

Single ply pickguard looks like garbage.

Contoured body is the Jazz body shape.

String ferrule looks well done and not a detriment. Doesn't increase tension of the string itself but the steeper break angle over the saddle may help if there were any issue of a floppy B string not seating well on the saddle.

I'll save everyone else the trouble of saying it: play it and see. If you like it, buy it.

Check that the truss rod works ok. Loosen a little but first, then tighten back to where it was, that's all.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    UNICORN BASS likes this.
  4. Thanks craigie for your thoughts. So the fact that the neck plate is blank is okay? Pics found googling seem to indicate it should have a logo. And would there be any identifying serial numbers or maker's marks on the neck butt or in the pocket?

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Like Craigie said, if it sounds good and speaks to you go for it!

6. Appreciate the sentiment, but if it is really worth 300 instead of 450, that would assist my decision . . .

7. Just wondering if anybody has any answers/suggestions to these two questions: So the fact that the neck plate is blank is okay? Pics found googling seem to indicate it should have a logo. And would there be any identifying serial numbers or maker's marks on the neck butt or in the pocket?

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's a Squier. It could be pieces of multiple Squiers. Neck plates get moved around in the shuffle. These basses are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of others out there.

9. Okay, so you are saying a Squier can have a blank neck plate, and a Squier has no serial numbers, except on the headstock?

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    As far as I know that particular Squier should have a Squier logo on the neck plate and I think the serial number is only supposed to be on the head stock but like I said, it could be an amalgam of parts. It's really nothing to worry about because no one's gonna go through the trouble of faking a Squier. And I still have no idea what these should cost in Canada.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021