1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice, Suggestions, Info wanted

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tZer, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Fellow TB'ers, I need your input, please.

I have never sold anything online before, so I would really welcome some guidance, people's experiences, input, suggestions etc... to get a feel for how/if I should even go that way. I am considering selling my basses and upgrading.

PS - if any of you are near-ish to the St. Louis area and are interested in a couple of really groovy basses - let me know!

The basses are an Ernie Ball MMSR5 (grey with matching headstock + hardshell G&L case) and a Spector ReBop DLX 5 - Natural Oil Finish. Pics coming as soon as I get home and shoot 'em.

If I can bypass the online sale thing, all the better!

Thanks!
    --tz

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you're against doing the internet thing, that leaves you with your local classifieds, message boards at grocery stores, and a garage sale.

-Mike

3. Not against it, just never done it and I am looking for some insight into people's experience with it. I have sold instruments via classifieds before and even had a great experience with a trade via the Spector Bass Club - turned out the guy lived in St. Louis, so I did not have to deal with the long-distance thing.

Any thoughts on selling stuff here? On Ebay? Elsewhere?

4. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ahh, OK. Try out your local craigslist first. It is free, you can post pics, and you'll be dealing with people who are local to you. That way, if you make a deal, you won't have to ship.

You can also post your basses here, or over the the Pit.

-Mike

5. Cool! Thanks for the tips!
    --tz

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Start here though. You can pretty much trust all of us, and you'll get a good price for your gear.

-Mike

7. Yeah, that is the vibe I am getting - I guess along the same lines, what has been your experience with acquiring gear/basses through here? Have you done it?

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have made quite a few deals here at TB. Only one time did I get a deal that went a little south, but it worked out fine.

With anything, there is some risk involved. As long as you deal with people who have been around TB for a bit, you should be safe. I don't think there are any thieves within the TB family. Over at the Pit, the guys there are like family.

-Mike

9. Where is this 'pit'?

10. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Anytime you get a message like the following , run!

"Hello to you sir. I have found your MMSR5 to my liking and would wish to purchase said item. What is your last asking price? What is condition of said item? I am live far from you now in Nigeria, and so would be having my agent in the states come to you to pick up item. Agent will give you certified check for funds plus $3,000. Please refund the differing price to my agent."

11. LOL - really? But it sounds like such a great deal! - Thank for the tip!

--tz

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    the TB classifieds work great

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've had good luck here at TB as well.