1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ADVICE THREAD

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by coolvirgin69, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:22 AM.

1. coolvirgin69

coolvirgin69

Mar 11, 2019
    A thread on advice for any level from master down to someone who just learned what music is. It can be towards playing, performing, any sort of anxiety advice, technique, whatever it is. Add whatever you think helps even if it feels insignificant or obvious. To someone out there, this brand new. Of course I'll start.

Relax. If your roadblock is social anxiety just ignore it as best as you can. Just focus on playing and what you want to do. Simple yet effective.
    On a similar path, if you know how to
    You better feel like your fingers are dancing. If you can dance, there's rhythm. Also, dance while you play.
    Don't slingshot. Pop quick. When you slap, don't "land." Bounce.
    Don't expect to be good the first time around. In the great words of some random Fairly Odd Parents episode, "Nobody is born cool." The people who got good (and the people who look cool :smug:) did it because they tried really hard, over and over, until they were sick of playing the song you are only more impressed each time you here it.
    And, here's a new one: have fun. Seriously. Half of the things I can do that friends seemed too impressed by came from me just messing around. I'm not bragging, I'm convincing.
    When there is advice you don't agree with, try to use it anyhow to see why it was given. Different perspective, take it or leave it.
    AND FiNaLlY, the most important advice that I have learned six years too late, setup. Make sure all your equipment is in good shape. Don't stop playing if it isn't though.