1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ADVICE WANTED! Going into the Studio for the 1st Time

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hekbass, May 18, 2011.

1. Hekbass

Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Actually, it's not my first time in a studio. Starting in 1996, I've done 3 demo recordings over the years.
    But, it is the first time I'm going in as a leader. The first time I'm going to be recording my own songs. So, in many ways, it will be like going in for the first time. :)

The line-up is just bass, drums, and two vocalists (me being one of them.)

The studio - fully digital - is owned by a friend, who's going to charge me a RIDICULOUS fee. Only $20 x hour, and he'll only charge for the time that is actually spent playing while recording. Mixing, post-production, etc. at no charge!

The drummer is the owner's son, who will drum for me basically because that means I can start recording. So, there really is no "band" in the proper sense. It's more like I'll have "session musicians" to record the songs.
    We'll do one song at a time. Practice, then record it, etc. (No charge for rehearsal time or the drumming services, either!!!!)

There are no deadlines or limits. I plan on taking my time. It might take me months to complete, and I'm fine with that.

It's a total of 9 songs (2 of them will be instrumentals.)

I'm very non-technical when it comes to gadgets and recording, and even technology in general.

I use a Zoom B21.u multi-effects pedal. I realize it's not cutting-edge or anything. But, should they be able to add effects in post-prod to the clean bass track, or should I use it while recording?

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Be really, really nice to the drummer

3. Hekbass

Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Thank you, sir. Absolutely. I've almost ran out of superlatives already in my words of gratitude towards them. But, indeed, as the practicing/recording goes on, I'll make it a point to be super nice.

4. We recorded 5 songs over two 10 hour marathon days a couple weeks ago and it was hard, man. Lots of listening ending in complete burn-out. First of all, I'd not do it all in one day... Record one day, mix another day, listen to the mix for a week or two, and go back to re-mix. Don't compromise. Patching in is super easy. Recording vocals is hard. Don't get wasted... beer or otherwise.

5. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    I'd record clean and add what you want later unless you have a live sound you really want that would require miking an amp. The engineer should be able to guide you.