Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice wanted on Blown Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by C-5KO, Sep 10, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    :help: :help: :help:

I just blew my speakers on a string of gigs we did a few weeks ago and didn't realize it until a gig in the early evening tonight.

Luckily the soundman was nice enough to turn me up loud enough in the monitors so I could hear myself.

They were EA CXL 110E's that I think I paid close to $800 CAD each. Here's my dilemma, and advice I'm looking for:

1. From the dealer I purchased the speakers from says that they don't make the replacements anymore. He has some that I may consider buying, but I'm not sure how much they are since he's not around until Tuesday.

If I do replace them, and they blow again, it will be even harder for me to find replacements. And they'll probably be expensive too.

2. For the money that I would spend on replacement speakers, I could probably buy equivalent 2x10's of equal value of another brand. Suggestions anybody?

3. Since two weeks ago, my back has been in intense pain from lifting gear, sleeping in vans/cots, etc. So I was actually glad that I had these tiny speakers. But money is tight now, and replacing both speakers may be very costly. The guys in the band are very helpful, and I don't think they would mind if I started using 2x10's.

SO: Do I try to replace the cones? Should I go for 2x10's? It's a tough decision especially since this back problem started. Money is definately an issue too. So 2x10's, I'm guessing, would be cheaper than buying replacement cones, that may not even be around in a year or so? Should I try to sell the blown enclosures for whatever I can get for them and put that money towards 2x10s????

:help: :help: :help:

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    man get accugroove 2 10's, or a schroeder cab

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    get 'em reconed

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't heard these yet. I know Dave has them at Clubbass. I think this time though, if I get new cabs, that I will go with something that's been around for awhile. I'm not sure how long Accugroove has been on the scene. Maybe you can fill me in? Right now I'm using an old pair of 210s Genz Benz. But I'm still balancing the pro's vs con's of a new cab.

I'm really thinking of getting rid of the EAs only because of the fact that the cones are discontinued.

If I get something new, I'm thinking something that I won't have to baby, or be worried about blowing.

What's your take on the accugroove speakers?

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    My only concern is not if, but WHEN they blow again, I'll be screwed for new speakers. Plus they're so expensive! I'm not convinced that it's worth it.

They are great speakers, and possibly playing through a crappy pair of 210s might tip the scales in favour of fixing them... I'm wondering why you would choose fixing them?

Any other advice?

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Bump for help.

Does anybody have an idea how much just the cabinets are worth?

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't know what the situation is like in Canada but around here, a good recone shouldn't be more than 30% of the cost of a replacement speaker and right now...what you have is near worthless as an empty box.

From a sales point of view I would think you would be able to recover all of the cost of the repair. No way should a 10" recone cost more than $60 tops around here. I'd think more like $45.

I have a guy that does my work at cost..the last Eden 15" I had reconed cost....$18 in parts and that included the shipping. Just to give you an idea of how cheap that stuff is. Even with a healty mark-up, you can't get hurt that bad. Can you?

8. Do you know what caused the failures? What type of damage did the drivers sustain? Torn surrounds? Cooked voice coils?

Figuring out what caused the problem is a good first step towards deciding whether to recone or not. On the face of it, it would seem that those 110 cabs don't meet your requirements...

9. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I believe that these cones are proprietary. For some reason $300 comes to mind. Last time I was in his shop, he said that he had a couple left, and that EA doesn't supply them anymore. If it was $60 I wouldn't hesitate. If they're $300 each, then I'm look at $600 + installation... which would make anybody hesitate.

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I'm not exactly sure what caused the failures. One enclosure doesn't work at all. There's no sound whatsoever. The other one, only the tweeter works.

I am pretty loud onstage. But I'm pretty consistent my loudness. It's not like anything's changed in my setup. It is possible I've just been too loud for too long? I could understand if I was too loud on a few gigs here and there how it could damage the speakers. But if I was below that mark, pushing the speakers slightly, ever gig for a few years, I wouldn't guess that the cumulative affect would be so catastrophic.

11. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I read in another post that the speakers are Eminence speakers.

Does anybody know which Eminence speakers they put in EA CXL110E? If I can't get the cones from EA, I'm hoping that Eminence still has the same model that I can purchase. Or even a model close enough to EA's specs that would work in the cabs.

Thanks!

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    dave has accugroove at club bass now??

what the heck! last time i told him i had accugroove cabs he was trying to sell me on bergantino! ***!

i love my cabs man, so clean, clear, articulate, LIGHT. they handle serious power too, so my dynamic range is awesome. i run 2000watts into both of theese cabs wiried in paralell. i have sick amounts of head room.
    my cabs are a accugroove tri210L and a Accugroove Gordo (18" sub)

i could easily use this 18 as a standalone cab too, its that good.

!!!! i'm gonna go practice, i just hyped myself up"!!!

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I'm going to talk to him on Tuesday about replacement cones. I'll doublecheck on the Accugroove stuff. How much were your 210s and where did you get them?

14. Not sure about the price impact of being in Canada, but I've had great experiences with Orange County Speakers in Garden Grove, California: http://www.speakerrepair.com/

I've had Eden speakers reconed and replaced. Give'm a call.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd like to reinforce this point. I wouldn't decide anything until I knew more about exactly what went wrong.

It should only take a few minutes......All you have to do is remove the grill from the cab. Once it's out, inspect the speaker for signs of any obvious physical damage such as rips or tears, particularly on the surrounds. Also, spread your fingers evenly around the speaker cone and press down gently. On a healthy speaker, the cone should move on it's suspension, and it should do so without any rubbing or scratching noises.

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's almost no such thing as a driver that can't be replaced and no reason why it can't be done for far less than $300, even using money with the Queen on it. Keep in mind that a salesman in a music store probably doesn't know much more about this than you do. Take one of the woofers out of its cabinet and post pictures of it here, side and rear view. It shouldn't be difficult to identify.

You also might consider contacting the manufacturer.

17. +1. Stupid question, but did you check the rating of the cabs against the output of your amp, etc? I notice the 110L's are 350 W at 8 ohm. Can't find the 110E's to check, but you should know so you don't just happen to blow the speakers. Oh! Sorry; you just did that...

You better find out why, first. :eyebrow:

18. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd be tempted to contact a few other EA dealers to verify that a replacement isn't available.
    Try
    www.gollihur.com
    I got a replacement for a blown cxl-112 speaker from him for around $120 or so.