Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 23, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My band is about to start recording again. We made a demo in the past, and are really not happy with it. I'm looking for any advice you guys have, so that I can avoid as many mistakes as possible. Gear includes, old Yamaha 16 channel, Mackie 1604 vlz, Alesis Adat (next to last model), dbx and behringer compressors, PC with Nuendo and Wavelab 4, Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. Shure bg and sm58, Audix whatever the hell they are, and the drummer is buying some drum mics so any suggestions there would be good too. What I'm looking for is anecdotal stories of what worked for you, in the context of what my band sounds like. You can hear us by clicking the link in my sig, Mud Prophets. Thanks all.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    We definetly need to lay off the drum compression! We destroyed them last time. Thanks.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, we have new drummer now, who has a nice kit and decent control. It should make it easier for us!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try to record as dry as possible and do FX from within Nuendo. That way you can undo everything.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, makes sense. I am thinking of getting a pair (stereo) drum tracks, then all the instrumentation down on ADAT, using the time amrker function so I can line it all up in Nuendo, then mix on the PC. Master with Nuendo or Wavelab 4. Sound good? If you listen to our old stuff is there anything we haven't mentioned that I obviously did wrong? The mix is a bit weird in places, but I plan to use the built in 'scopes and level adj. options in Nuendo to take care of that before we mix, sort of pre-treat the tracks.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just make sure the instruments don't clash frequency-wise.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, I was planning to notch out some bass for the kick drum and some guitar for the mid's in the bass, that's what you mean right?