Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hopeful_bassist, Apr 18, 2004.

1. hopeful_bassist

Apr 18, 2004

I want to get a bass guitar, mostly because I want to play an instrument that everyone isnt playing (guitar). I'm thinkg of getting this bass:

Its a candy apple red modulus body with a fender precsion neck with a jazz pickup(???). At least thats what it says in the description.

Any thoughts or ideas for a beginner bass in that price range?

Is the Peavey Minx a good beginner amp, or should I get something different?

Thanks a bunch
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    go to a store that has many different basses, play as many of them as you can in your price range. You don't even have to play through an amp......just feel which ones are confortable to you. Write down the make and model of the basses that are comfortable and go home.....DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. Do research online about the basses you wrote down. Narrow down the possibilities and then start shopping for the best prices on those basses
  3. Looks like someone's project bass. If your just starting out I'd suggest something else. Maybe an Essex or Brice? Possibly a MIM* Fender Jazz Or Precision.

What type of music are you looking to play? Will help us help you decide on a bass and also what is your price range (you will need a cable, amp and strap also).

*MIM = Made In Mexico, MIA = Made In America, MIJ = Made In Japan. This should help you out some.
  4. hopeful_bassist

Apr 18, 2004
    To answer some of the questions, the music I listen most to would be Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Third Eye Blind, Yellowcard, with a mix of Less than Jake and classic rock. If and when I learn to play, I would probably be playing classic rock, like led and the grateful dead.

My biggest problem is that I do have a samash near my house(live on Long Island), but the people there dont seem to happy to answer questions, which leaves me high and dry in the info section. This forums has been a great help so far.
  5. I'd suggest going to Samash and checking out the Fender Jazz basses. Other than that I'd recommend an Essex bass such as the SPB-62 or a higher-quality bass and one that would suit the kind of music you want to play better, a Brice Douglas J4.

All-in-all I'd say go for a Jazz bass, but other's will say different (this is just my opinion).

Different between Jazz (J) and Precision (P) is the Jazz has a nice low growl to it and the Precision has a lot of low end and is punchy.

A P/J combo, such as the SX SB-301 (not too sure on this bass exactly, haven't heard any reviews about it) you get the best of both basses.

Hope I was of some help...good luck on your search for a bass to start learning on.

P.S. You will also need an amp, strap and cable. I'd suggest a Peavey Microbass III (what a lot of people suggest) and snag this and you should be set. Do post anymore questions you have!
  6. Well, speaking from personal experience I can tell you this:
    it's quite worthwhile to go to music stores and play. that's the only way you can get a general idea of what you like the look and feel and sound of. It's ALSO worth it to keep an eye out for sales, closeouts, etc... for example, Musician's Friend has a closeout/outlet section that can occasionally have some smoking deals there (I picked up a Yahama rbx774 for $249 new).

If you can stand to wait a week or two before you own a bass, checking talkbass forums and closeouts can result in a much better bass for the money.

And since there's a huge amount of knowledge here, and people who own basses worth $100 to $10,000, you might want to answer the 'how much $' question. You'll get MUCH better advice.
  7. hopeful_bassist

Apr 18, 2004
    My Price Range tops out at around $350, but I dont need to spend that much. As it stands, I think I might get the Brice or the Essex, and look around the closeouts on the sites for good deals, thanks a bunch