Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nataku, Aug 1, 2005.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im not sure what i want to do with bass. im going to be a senior in high school soon and i play upright in band, but electric is my main instrument. i just quit my private lessons tonight, as i didnt feel i was getting much out of them. it wasnt my teachers fault, and i will probably return to him if i decide to start up again.

ive been feeling really uninspired with music in general lately. i still pick up the bass every once in a while for band practice or to learn a song that catches my ear, but i know that if i want to go anywhere with music, i need to practice a lot more than i do now. i want to study it in college, but i feel like im not good enough, nor will i ever be. i know if i practice more ill get better, but i dont feel motivated enough to do so.

should i just leave it alone for a while? would i just come back crying, saying that i had nowhere else to go? any advice on how to get motivated to be a better player?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It's hard to tell by your post if your teacher taught you electric or upright, but I think the advice would be the same regardless of the instrument.

If you're committed to keep playing bass:

Whatever you do, don't use your time away from lessons as an excuse to stop practicing. That doesn't mean you practice for hours, but that you'll give it the time needed to keep your current chops.
    More than the electric, the upright bass can be very unforgiving if you neglect it for too long and it can be frustrating to play catch up when you decide to take lessons again later.

One god way to exercise your playing is to take all those things you learned from your teacher and apply them to music. Learn some new tunes, both by reading and by ear and explore different fingerings that you know to achieve those lines. Improvise and have fun with it. If you're tired of the same old music, try something new or, if you have a remaining thing you used to like that still excites you, explore that thing more closely so you can better understand why it still interests you.

If you're committed to playing bass.

Of course, walking away for a while is also an option and if you feel that's what you have to do, then that's what you have to do. It's all about what feels right to you.

So you're back on square one. Ultimately it's your decision. Food for thought.