Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeblandbob, Nov 6, 2005.

1. weeblandbob

weeblandbob

May 21, 2005
    hey everyone
    ive been playing bass for a couple of years, but i've only got a yamaha and i was planning on getting a new bass
    can anyone give me advice on a good, cheap bass?

2. Actually, I think that a Yamaha is indeed a good, cheap bass...

3. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    MEXICAN FENDER JAZZ

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    whats your budget?

if you got 700$, go for a Geddy!

5. look for a musicman sub with active pups that is a great cheaper bass.

6. Fender Jazz or P are always nice basses on the cheap.

7. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    whats your style?
    whats your price range?
    what kind or yamaha do you have?
    what exactly are you looking for in your next bass?
    4, 5 or even a 6 string???

the list goes on and on

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

These are good questions that can help us give you a better recommendation.

That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you are looking for:

* Something that is versatile enough to fit into a variety of musical genres.
    * Something that will cost less than $500.
    * Something "middle of the road" style-wise.
    * A 4-string.

Based on my assumptions, I'd suggest a Fender Jazz MIM (Made in Mexico.)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have a Yamaha and it's a good cheap bass, I'm sure. My advice is to stick with it until you're ready to step up and go to the next level of good, not-so-cheap bass. I'd wait until you can get another couple hundred and get a good used USA Precision or Jazz Bass. People say get a Mexican Jazz Bass, but I figure for only a little bit more you can find a good used American Fender for $600-650, sometimes even less if the seller needs the money.

10. i met a pro bassist this weekend in san diego at a little club and he was showing me some of his gear. he had an old yamaha bb that he had up graded with basslines pups and he had shaved the neck too. this thing was set up with the lowest, cleanest action i have ever played and the slap tone was out of this world. well, he also did have a custom built cab but still the guitar was phenomenal and he bought it for $25 at a pawn shop and then upgraded it. maybe you could think about upgrading yours

11. I don`t know what Yamaha you have but most I have been around are good basses. What are you playing it thru. Maybe a up grade on the other end and a change of strings mite help your sound more than another bass.
    Wink

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I'd wait till I could afford a fender then I'd wait some more until I could afford something better than a fender and I'd buy that.

13. I like my Yamaha BB 450 just fine. It is the closest bass in sound to my 73' Les Paul recording Bass that I have played and I payed $150. One pluck and it growls. I like my $25 ventura bass. There was a thread earlier on this site about which you would upgrade first, your bass or amp. Maybe search that for some ideas. Don't go straight to Fender because of the name. Try out off brands and older basses. My experience with MIM and MIJ P and J basses are that I would never buy without playing as they vary so greatly from bass to bass. I have a gift MIJ P that has nothing going for it.
    I think a good bass can sound good with dead strings.