Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flamer, Oct 18, 2002.

1. flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england

Ok, i need a bit of advice on buying a new speaker. I recently replaced my laney 165w head with a hartke 4000 (400w @8ohm), i've still been using this through my existing laney 15" speaker, which is not giving me enough volume, and everytime i attempt to turn up beyond 5, the clip LED on the head lights up (which is annoying).
    So, i'm currently in a dilemma, do i go for a 8ohm 400w 4x10?, or would it be better just to opt for 4ohm cab.
    And which make should i get? i was looking at peavey, but they weigh stupid amounts, and i have a bad back (which sucks at age 25!), so now i'm mulling over either a gallien krueger 4x10 backline cab, or a hartke vx410.

Just to give you an idea, i play in noisy and very percussive indie rock outfit, i play 90% fingers 10%plectrum, with definitely no slappin or poppin!

any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, but bear in mind i live in the UK so ampeg and swr cabs are really costly!

ps, does anyone know if the ibanez srx basses are any good?

thanks, phil
  2. Hey, don't go throwing around big words like "plectrum". You confuse people :). Anyway! The Hartke delivers 4000 220 watts @ 8ohms and 400 watts @ 4ohms. All 4x10 cabs are going to weight in at about 100lbs, so considering your back condition, maybe two 8ohm 2x10 cabs would be the ticket? And I can't stress the luxury of a good hand truck with nice fluffy pneumatic tires on it.
  3. flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england

cheers for that, yeah, 2 of our songs are a little fast for my 2 fingers, and i'm still having trouble bringing in the third one, so i use a plectrum on those!

The gallien-krueger weighs 70lbs which is why i was considering it, but it doesn't have a tweeter, i don't know if that (or the cabinet) is bad or not though! the hartke weighs 88lbs apparantly, although thus far i have been unable to find the dimensions on it. The hartke is so cheap that i'm wondering if it's dire or not! i don't think i could afford 2 2x10's besides it's difficult to find ones that run at 400w or higher.

I should really just go and buy one of them, but i wanna get the right one!

any further suggestions?

4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN has the best deals on hartke gear. Go there and look at the XL 2x10's or a 2x10 and a 1x15. They have excellent prices.