Advise for a beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kluggy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Kluggy

Apr 28, 2005
    Hi, I just started playing bass and I was hoping someone could give me some help. I've been learning using a ****ty Squire P-Bass I bought off my friend, but the thing is literally falling apart on me and I decided I'm serious enough about playing and I want my own bass.

The problem is I'm completely lost on what kind of bass to get. Does anyone have any suggestions for good basses for a beginner? I know I'm supposed to go to the store and look around and sees what feels right, but I'd just like to get some input so I have a reference to start from.

I'm really into hard rock/metal so I would like a good bass for that type of music. I'm willing to spend about 300-400, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if necessary.
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would say any bass can be used for rock/metal so if I where you I would just be focusing on the sound and feel that you like. Now as for a new bass I highly highly highly recomend a MTD Kingston it is a absolute fantastic bass for the price!! (I think its around $400) IMO it beats any bass in that price range and IMO it is a way better bass than many 600-800 dollar basses.......I wish I had one to go with my MIA jazz deluxe:bawl:
  3. ibanez gsr 200 is a good one
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My biggest advice is shut your eyes and play everything you can afford or almost afford. Don't worry about the style of music you're going to play (you can suit almost anything for metal) just remember, when you REALLY get into bass, your style may completely change. I know I'm leaning very heavilly towards jazz and fusion as compared to metal like I was two years ago.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 with the "any bass can play metal" thing. P-bass, Jazz bass, Stingrays, even fretless among other things can be used for heavy rock and metal.

ESP/LTD has some good budget basses. Their quality seems to be consistent across the board.

Yamaha has some great basses in that price range in the RBX and BB lines. Yamaha basses are always well made instruments. My housemate has a late 1990s BB 5-string and while he uses it to mostly play jazz and funk, I was able to dial in a great cutting metal tone from the active electronics.

Peavey's Fury line is excellent. Those basses look, feel, and sound like basses costing much much more. I'd avoid the Grinds since the quality on those is inconsistent. The Fury line's consistent.

Spector Performer is another choice. Spector has consistent quality across the board as well.

And if you're not averse to buying used, you may find a higher end bass at a honey of a price. I bought my last two basses used and they're terrific.
  6. Ibanez has some good stuff in that range. You can also get a MIM Fender stuff.

You pegged it, should just go play anything and everything, taking notes on each one. Whatever feels and sounds right for you is the right bass.
  7. Sir Squier

Sir Squier

Apr 29, 2005
    hey come on they arnt that bad!