Advise for my fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De-la funk, Mar 8, 2005.

1. I have just started to use my fretless more and want to get the jaco sound we all sort after! I ruted around and found some flats that wer 40 -95 as the ones it had on I thought wer to big! but I still dont get the jaco sound- what sound will I get with normal strings?
    what set up do I use? I use a 300w Trace Head with a 4X10 Lany cab at presant!
  2. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    What bass do you have? I've found that much of the Jaco sound is in the pickup placement, you need to have a bridge pickup to nail it correctly.

Also, to get a real "mwah" your strings need to be pretty low. Not so much that they buzz all over the place, but enough to create the "mwah."
  3. well, there are a couple of things to consider. Jaco had a really unusual setup on his basses and not everyone could get that sound from them.

using roundwounds will give your sound more life and make it easier to hit all that frequency range. emphasizing your bridge pickup will help. so will playing back by the bridge. however, if you have you action low, as MrWalker suggests, and play right over the fretboard you can get an unbelievably beautiful tone.

remember, Jaco actually had very high action, but he had a specific touch. how you get your sound may be very, very different...

from the lows,

ps - I'm attaching a pic of my fretless. I use low action and it sings and growls like you wouldn't believe.