Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advise needed: Modulus Quantum or Sweetspot 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JerryH, Oct 17, 2000.

1. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey bottom dwellers,

I need advise for Modulus bass. There is one on sale, but I don't have experiance with Moduluses. Here are the thinks I know and any comment is more than welcome!

Modulus 4 stringer:
    - Quantum (I guess, how to find out)
    - neck is graphite/phenolic (some space stuff?)
    - it does not have trust rod(s) (any problem found)
    - red slick body
    - Bartolini pickups (P/J)
    - Bartolini electronics
    - ~1100USD takes the cake

There, please do not hesitate to response!
    Greetings from sunny Helsinki .

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Main Difference:
    Sweetspot = 1 Pickup in Sweetspot Configuration.
    Quantum = 2 Pickups

"No truss Rod..., thats not a problem"
    You dont need a truss rod, because the neck is SO stiff it will never bend, so.. you dont need to adjust the relief because there is none.

If I were you... I would have bought that bass in the moment i saw it.
    Modulus is just the Greatest.
    and for $1100 I think it is a GREAT price for a Quantum 4.
    Oh.. Get the Quantum, More Tonal possibilities.

[Edited by lfabara on 10-17-2000 at 07:23 PM]

3. I have to agree with Ifabara, the quantum is the way to go. and for $1100, you better hopes it's still there, and if it is, you should make sure it's not there by the time you leave. :D

4. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    HEY, Thanks guys for your replies!

Well, I have already some basses and there are two kids and wife plus a cat at home with punch of furniture ... so, there are limitations for space. I need to get rid of my Sterling, too. - Man, isn't it hard to buy all the stuff you want.
    Right, so I just go to that boutique and buy it. This should be a great deal and just remember I am in Helsinki, Finland, where normally all the US prices tend to come douple (easy calculation from US price is to add one zero in the end - normally the exchange rate is like 1USD = 6.5FIM)

5. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland

Snif, the Modulus was gone!
    Well, maybe it was too good to be true anyway!

Thanks anyway for your replies and this thread can be closed and removed.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Jerry, don't fret. So, the Modulus was gone. If you had your heart set on one, there'll be more. But, I'll tell you this: I owned one for about 1-1/2 years. Traded it for a Spector, which is a better bass, IMHO.

I thought the Modulus Quantum did have more versatility than the Sweet Spot, but if you already have a few basses, the Sweet Spot has more of a piano-like tone: it runs hotter than the Quantum...at least they did in 1995. You may not need the versatility if you already have a few basses.

I always had trouble with Modulus' character in the sound. The neck was so stiff that it allowed for NO warmth in the sound, whatsoever! In fact, in some recordings my band did live (through the soundboard), you can't even hear the fundamental in the D and G strings...only the attack! And, the attack stood out like the drummer was hitting the bell on his ride cymbal! It was that pronounced!

But, some people actually like the Modulus. If you're one, I'd recommend playing them A LOT before you buy one!