Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advise on 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris3142, Oct 7, 2000.

1. I dont know what happened to my last post about this but i'm trying to figure out what 6 string bass to buy. I've got a Fender Mexican p bass right now, and i know its not all that great, but it was a starter bass, i really want a 6 string because i've played them, and i like having both the low B and the high C, but which one should i get, i have a budget of about 600 dollars. i've been lookin at the Ibanez Soundgear 406, but i want to know if theres something better out there that is within my budget. thanks for ur help.
    Chris

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  3. Thanks a lot, but do either of these have the punch of a p-bass? OR do these have better tone?

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Of course, my recommendation woud be to find a used Carvin. They seem to trade in the $600 range.

Also heard good reports about the Dean Edge 6. I think Musician's Friend has 'em for, what, $559?

Most of these basses are set up with the J pickup configuration, which doesn't usually yield quite as much "thump" as a P. But then, most of 'em have an active bass bost to compensate. I strongly recommend comparing 'em live with your P and your amp.