Advise on picking out Acoustic bass needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keylock71, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Hey folks,

I'm thinking of getting me an acoustic bass as I tend to find myself playing at beach parties and cook outs alot during the summer months. I've played a few and the problem I have with them is the lack of projection of sound. All the ones I've played have usually been drowned out by the two or more guitars usually present. Obviously I don't want to be lugging an amp around to the beach, so I was hoping someone could recommend an acoustic bass with good sound projection. Maybe I should just get one of those mexican mariachi basses....."el guitaro".
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A guitarron, if you're willing to learn it, would definitely be the best bet.

As for an acoustic bass that acctually works in an acoustic environment, I am satisfied with my Tacoma Thunderchief. I've never played anything in the same league.

I can hold up no problem with my brother who plays guitar softly. However, the Thunderchief is not going to hold up against multiple guitars that are played loud.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The volume thing is really the Achilles' heel for virtually all ABGs. For me, the answer is just to accept it and deal with it, but if you want max practical volume in something easily available and reasonably priced, I think the Tacoma is about the best of what's out there. And it sounds pretty good. Just don't expect miracles.
  4. Cool. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting miracles, it's just that nothing sucks like not being heard. Guitarron!! I knew it was something like that. Love the way they sound. I'm always willing to learn. Though I'd probably be less inclined to wear the outfit that goes with a bass like that.(feeble attempt at humor.)

They had a mariaci band at this lame-ass work confrence I went to in Albuquerque, NM a few years back and I got a chance to talk to the cat who was playing the Guitarron. Real nice guy. His English was limited, but we had a good talk about the low end.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ha ha ha you have to wear the sombrero and colorful outfit in order for the Guitarron to work. They not only sound great, the look great, too IMO. However, they have like 5 frets.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Tacoma Thunderchief.
  7. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 4 acoustic bass guitars, so I know enough to give some advice :
    Go with a long scale (34")IMO they sound better.
    Use the phospher bronze strings, they have better
    figure out how much you want to spend.
    2 of my basses are Carlo Robeli a Sam Ash house brand, one I had de-fretted,They were only $179
    each and I have had them since 1999 without a bit of trouble from them, They are a martin B1 knock off, and they have a large body, and project very well,I play with 2 acoustic guitar player's and sometimes a mandolin, and I have no problem with volume.they are model SB-100E, they are all wood,
    they do have another model with a plastic back, I did not like.another great acoustic is the Washburn AB20, it projects real well,but the carlo's have more bottom end. I also have a DEAN
    performer 5 plus, this is a short scale 32" and is great for working on songs you are learning
    or playing or writing songs with a acoustic guitar player, but I tried it and it gets washed out in our acoustic jams.
  8. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Carlo Robeli SB-100E from Sam Ash. [​IMG]
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    1988 washburn AB20 & 1999 DEAN Peformer plus 5 [​IMG]
  10. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    This show's the depth a little better.[​IMG]

11. great stuff. thanks alot. Cool pics. I always lean toward the long scale anyways. Since I'm primarily an electric player I was only thinking in terms of body size for volume, didn't really factor in type of strings. thanks again!