Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advise on Soundgear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Hi everyone. I am currently looking to replace my rig because I am FAR from happy with my sound.

Here is my current rig: Carvin PB300 (not enough headroom), a Peavey 410TX cab and Carvin LB75 Bass (not replacing, but if need be will upgrade electronics).

I am looking for a sound that is clean and pronounced. I would like a well balanced sound where the lows are deep & warm, the mids are tight and punchy and the highs sparkle. I hope we're on the same page descriptionwize, if not check out Alain Carons sound on "Wake Up Call" at this link: http://www.alaincaron.com/eng/archives_club.htm

Bass on Steroids!

Anyway, I can't really describe my music, but here's a sense of how I play - very percussive; alot of slapping, tapping, raking of chords etc. which I like to blend with traditional fingerstlye groove. On the other side, I enjoy tapping out melodies and playing chordal stuff too.

I guess what I am getting at is I need a sound that projects what I'm doing technically. However, there needs to be versatility to bust out a Reggae tune or something on the other side of the spectrum here and there. Unfortunately, what sounds great to me as a bassist doesn't always fly in a band/audience setting.

Ultimately, I will bring my bass to various stores and try out different head & speaker combinations. But what sounds great in the store, may not sound good elsewhere.

With all that's been said, I am looking for input from your experiences, opinions and knowledge to get me headed in the right direction.

Budget: Don't really want to spend much more than $1500, but willing to stretch a few hundred bucks to get myself where I need to be.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

2. por favor?

3. Wow! There are so many of you here that are insightful & I can't believe nobody has responded. :(

I'm sure more than a handful of you are in a quest for the tone I'm looking for above. Punchy and clean,deep warm low end with sparkling highs (sounds like a commercial). Maybe nobody has found it?

Those who have, or have an idea... please share.

Thanks!

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    OK - You are describing what I think of as a hifi rig, with a very flexible EQ setup and you want to pull it off on a reasonable budget...

My rig get's pretty close to what you are describing however my caveat is that I am a 4 string guy and I use the rig live ... So I know that you can't always use a monster low end as many room's justs won't allow it.

So GK 1001 RB II. Clear and clear, flexible EQ and a clean quiet DI. What's not to like...

Bag End Shallow 2x10 cab's. Not easy to find but worth the search. Easy to move. Ridiculously loud. Quite warm sounding. They fall off in a very graceful manner around 50 hz. Nothing artificial going on down there which IMO is key for a live sound. Some cab's that attempt 40 do so at the expense of the rest of the tonla spectrum. Beautifully detailed mids, upper mids and highs.

I use the D10X-D paired with a D10-D. The 'X' cab has a co-ax tweeter the 'D' cab does not. This is the only tweeter I have ever been happy with in a bass cab.

You'll also want an EQ pedal of some kind. If we are talking live and you want to move through those tones you need 'shift on the fly'...

If we're talking non-gigging bedroom tone. Screw it and just get a decent pre and a set of good phones ....

5. Interesting. I was considering the GK 1001 RBII or a Thunderfunk TF550. The only thing is, I really dig the "warm" sound of tubes which neither have. Can I achieve that warmth with this amp and a proper cab?

I would also like to check a Mesa MPulse. I hear they're ballsy, but don't know if I can get a "hi-fi" sound out of em. Feedback on Mesa is certainly welcomed.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Used SVT-ii (non pro) or Mesa Bass 400/400+, with Mesa/Boogie cabinet. Mesa cabs have the qualities you are looking for.