1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advise on this Ampeg rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leffe luffer, May 7, 2006.

1. I´m one of those thinking about upgrading my amp or bass. Since I play with a OLP MM3 5 string bass, Peavey 150w combo and a BOSS GT6B multieffekt I think a new amp would be the best solution since if we dont mich or line the bass on a gig I´m pretty screwed.

On my budget I was thinking about the Ampeg B2RE head. It´s solidstate put I dont have the money for a SVT3-Pro.

I recently came across a 810HE cabinett for the price of 1075 US dollars.

Would the B2RE work well with the 810HE cabinet?

2. yes, it would work, but for that cab you need ALOT more power. youd be seriously underpowering it, as the b2re only spits out 450 watts @ 4 ohms? and the 810 cab can handle like 1500 watts. i d say rethink your decision, get a more powerful head. and as far as the cab, youll never need a cab that can handle 1500 watts. thats just overkill. check out the 810E if u can. i have it and it does me fine.

3. Error from my side, it is the 810E I´m considering. I don´t have that much money to spend on a really powerfull head. I was thinking about the Peavey Firebird 700 but at 4 ohmns it gives 475w wich I dont really think is that much more tha 450.

Would it be a better idea to get a smaller cab like a 4x10 SVT-HE or BSE-410HS?

4. I'd probably get the SVT-410HLF or 6x10 and try to get the 3 pro.

5. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    You would be better served spending the same money on a SVT3 pro and a SVT 410HE .. Unless you're playing larger outdoor venue without a PA you won't need that 8x10 cab, and you'll need a SVT4 or SVT2 really get your money's worth out of it.

6. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If you want an 8x10 and don't mind moving it, get one and enjoy it.

450 watts is plenty of power through an 8x10, you'll be pushing some serious air and if you felt you needed an upgrade in the future, you still have a great cab, and an ampeg (head or cab) always has a decent resale value if its in good shape.

7. ukfin

ukfin

Jun 28, 2005
    I play through an svt 3pro and a bse 410 cab

I picked the head up on ebay for a reasonable price

Be patient and get the svt 3 pro

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I suggest you get the most powerful power amp you can afford and run the FX into it. I have on occasion run my FX straight into the PA with no problems, and sometimes at practice I will just not bring an amp and run into one side of the PA amp and 1 of the speakers. It works fine, and you will be much more cost effective than a head. Most of the cheaper Ampegs are pretty underpowered. And while I don't personally like the 810 (I like the Bergantino 610 much better and its only a tad more $) it would make a decent rig.

9. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Agreed. The gt-6b is a combination of 6 different preamps. While they may not be perfect replicas of the originals, they have a satisfactory sound IMO. With a good stereo poweramp you have the option of many different wattage levels, which will pay off if you ever decide to go the route of buying a different cab or cabs. A QSC PLX1202 can be had for around $500 if i'm not mistaken. Which, run in mono, would put 1200 watts into the SVT you're GASin' for.

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Alternatively, you might consider Carvin's 750w head with the 810. That head has received rave review.

+1 for not/not using a B-2RE.

11. Thanks for that tip, I´m really looking into the whole poweramp thin right now. Plus I like the idea of getting more value from my BOSS FX. :p

The price is right on the QSC but how is the tone?

I´m looking for a warm and punchy tone. I have been thinking about an Eden WT-1000 or WT-1250 wich are tubes but they are more expensive.

12. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree. Don't get the B2R. I find all Ampeg amps to be a little underpowered for their wattage ratings. If you wanna go Ampeg get the SVT-3 or SVT-4 used or save some more money. I would check out GK amps too. Try the 800RB and 700RB. Very powerful, light and cheap.

If you really dont need an 810 and wanna go Ampeg I also agree to go with a 410 or the 610. For that money try to get some Avatar cabs or the Aguilar S-series which I think are still on clearance on MF. I have their 810 and it's very very good. i think the 410s where going for about $380!!!

I like some Ampeg products but with that budget I think you could get much better gear. Get the most powerful head you can and a 410 cab and you'll be set for anything specially if you have PA support. If not, get a 610 or an 810, but go look for other brands too. You cna find great amps for about $500-600 by Gallien-Kruegger, Aguilar, Avatar, Ashdown, Yorkville, etc and save the rest to get a good 410 or 610.

I hope this helps...

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 on NOT getting a BR2
    +1 on saving for the SVT and using a 4x10 or other cab config...

I looked at the BR2 as a back-up/effects amp for my rig to pair with my SVT3-PRO..

Didn't like it... too.. blaah..

Anyway, right now, I just run the SVT with a single Aggie 1x15 (8 ohm, for later expansion) and it's plenty loud, especially if you also have the ability to go through a PA...

14. YBA200 is one of the best values out there, and since I've gotten one my G.A.S. has gone down to almost nothing. If you aren't going for the ultra Hifi sound, this would be a great option.

Oh... I have used a 200 watt hartke, a sovtek mig 100, and a YBA-1 all though an 8x10 at some time or another. I never had the volume above 4 with any of those amps.

When you have that many speakers moving air, you don't need ridiculous wattage. This is assuming you're in a rock type of setting also...

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A SS power amp is generally designed to be neutral tonally. The power amps on the Ampegs (save the tube heads and some of the higher end heads which have tube driven FETs) are neutral tonally as well. You would bet getting your tone from the FX unit and all of the modeling on it.

16. Firstly, there is no such thing as underpowering cabs

Secondly, i dont think thats too good a price really for the 810E seeing they are $1,000ish retail, but, seeing your in sweeden, you guys probably suffer the same way too high prices on stuff that we do in the UK

I dont know what i would do to be honest, i'd probably wait and keep my eyes open for an SVT to show up (well, thats what i did do), then add the 810 later

17. That´s because that price i wrong. I posted the retailerprice instead of the used price. The used price was less than half the retail price. I spoke withe the seller and it was in a pretty bad condition. :(

Right now I think I´l go the route of getting a poweramp to enhance the signal from my GT6B and getting a 4x10 or 6x10 that can handle a good portion of the watts from the poweramp.

The biggest problem is that most 4X10 I have seen have a RMS capability of only 400w. Althou I found a Eden that can handle 700w.