Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advise re: Fender Jazz Refin or Part Out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MTRatt, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi all,

About a year ago I bought an '83 Fender Jazz via Ebay. It was American made, the pictures looked good and the price was right ($400.00). The description sounded great too: '83 American Jazz, Bird's Eye Maple Fretboard, Brass Nut, Badass II Bridge, Hipshot Detuner, Vintage Pickups...... The only downside was that the body had been stripped of it's finish and lacquered.

Here is the beware of buying gear on Ebay part. After I received the bass, I got to see what I really bought. The job done on the lacquer finish was horrible. Probably done in an afternoon. The birdseye maple fretboard looks nice enough but was probably someones first try. Many of the frets weren't glued down properly and there was excess glue everywhere. The brass nut was attached to a thin remaining layer of the original rosewood fretboard and on the tuner side of the nut more rosewood. It was wired wrong. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

Question is: Is this bass salvageable within monetary reason?

Also, what color do you think it was originally?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Matt

2. man i feel sorry for you:( .. you got ripped, im probably thinking it would have been either red, or a hazelnut brown but hey thats me, might be salvagable

3. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Can anyone tell me if this appears to be an original Fender body? If so, how can you tell?

Matt

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If all the parts are there, I would say salvage it. A new finish isn't really a big deal. You can always make it a fretless which will eliminate the fret issues.

I would say that,yes, it's a genuine Fender body because it has the micro-tilt adjustment.

The instrument definitely appears restorable. I would love to own it.

Pkr2

5. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Here's how I look at it: I can send the body out to be refinished (I don't trust myself to do it right) for around $300.00. The neck, I guessing, will be another $200.00 to $300.00 to get repaired professionally. Since I paid $400.00 for the bass in the first place, I would then have around $1000.00 into this bass. The bass when totally refinished and repaired may be worth $600.00 to $700.00.

I'm trying to figure out if I should just put it back together, sell it and then buy something in better shape or fix it.

Matt

6. 12notes

12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    MTRatt,

You can try an auto-body shop for refinishing the body.

That's what I did a few years ago on a project guitar. I sanded down the wood to the best I could, masked out ther cavities, applied the sealent coat. Let it dried for 2 days, then took it to a auto-body shop.

Costed me about $70. The result was very nice.

7. I would scrap the neck if it requires anything more than a refinish. Then go by a lesser expensive Warmoth for around $150 for a replacement. The body isn't difficult but expect to put some work into it.

By the way, the body could be original but it's cavities aren't stock. Someone's been getting a little router happy.

8. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yes, the body has been abused by stripper, router and bad lacquer. The neck has an operator and date stamp at the base. Should there be similar stamping on the body somewhere?

This is looking more like a good project guitar for someone who know how to do the work themselves. Question is: Do I sell it as one unit or sell the parts?

Matt

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If you have to have someone do the work to restore it, it probably is not cost effective.

The warmoth replacement tip offered by Hambone is not a bad idea either. There have already been too many changes to bring it back to original but a fine player can be made out of it.

Pkr2

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would agree with pkr2 that the micro-tilt probably makes it legitimate. It has been routed just above where the control plate would normally be ('83 Jazz basses didn't come with a separate control plate, instead it came with a one-piece pickguard). It looks as if it may have been routed for a 9-volt. The original pickups were white on an '83 and needed no battery. The pickguard screw hole pattern appears to be correct except that there are two extra screw holes near the routing. I also agree with pkr2 and Hambone that a replacement neck from Warmoth could make it a fine player.

11. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks everyone for the feed back.

Turok - When I received the bass it had a seperate chrome control plate. After researching the '83 I found out about the full pickguard. Wanting to get the bass to original the best I could bought one and installed it. Downside is that I have a few more holes I don't need.

12notes - Thanks for the advice regarding the auto shop. I may check that out as well as some local guitar refinishers.

Matt