Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advise: Tower Of Power.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Danny R., May 27, 2003.

1. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

All right guys, I need some advise, I'm about to buy some Tower Of Power CD's and I'd like to know what's your favorite Tower Of Power CD, I got the bass day 98 DVD with Rocco Prestia and he plays some really cool finger style funk lines, I want to know what CD has the coolest bass lines in your opinion.
    Thanks. Danny. :bassist:

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    There's a 2 disk anthology put out by Rhino. It's a great package and covers their most popular stuff, from album 1 up to just before the last couple albums. I highly recommend this.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1.) Tower of Power (73)-- 'what is hip?', 'Clean Slate', 'Soul Vaccination', 'Get Yo' Feet Back On The Ground'

2.) Back To Oakland (74)-- 'Squib Cakes', 'Oakland Stroke', 'Man From The Past', 'I Got The Chop'

the 73 self titled is my favorite.... second I'll give the follow up just cause I really dig Squib Cakes :cool:

get them all... start at the beginning

4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

That's why I love TalkBass ;) thanks for the advise guys.
    Danny. :)

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I think the the albums "T.O.P." and "Power" have some really compelling bass work. Of course, everything in the Tower catalog does - I've just listed my favorites.

In my book, the signature crash course Rocco tunes are "What is Hip", "Still a Young Man", "Soul Vaccination" and "Credit". The first three tunes are probably on the compilations, and "Credit" is on the "Power" album.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They're all on the Rhino anthology, including "Credit".:bassist:

Plus it has a complete version of "Oakland Stroke", unlike the fade-in/fade-out versions that are on the original album.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    ;) 9 minutes to reply with the perfect answer for someone without any ToP and you don't expect us not to scramble around spewing our favorite studio releases? :meh:

J/K I've eyeballed that disk, but I've got it all on cd already.

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, I do try to be prompt. ;)

Although I don't think he wants to spend that much, when it comes to T.O.P., I cannot, not recommend buying the whole catalog (except maybe that non-Rocco output they did for awhile, but even thats pretty good).

9. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Live and in Living Color. Just in case you didn't see that... LIVE AND IN LIVING COLOR! It's a live album and it has insane playing on it. Others I own that I'd give a nod to are Back to Oakland, and their self-titled album. I haven't got enough money to buy all their stuff I'd like, but I have a friend that grew up in Oakland in the same neighborhood where David Garibaldi lived (and the band practiced). I could ask him his faves by them...

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes, get the live cd they put out a few years ago which also noted the return of Dave Garibaldi on drums! They play a bit of everything past and present (up to 99')!

11. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Bump City. 'Down to the Nightclub', man is that some funky s**t! I'm dating myself here, I bought it on 8-track in 1975.:D

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just so there's no confusion, these are separate albums. "Live and in Living Color" is from a lot of years ago, while the more recent one is only a couple years old.

13. As far as a 'greatest hits', the What Is Hip?/ Tower of Power Anthology is definitely the one to get.

As far as individual albums, my favorite is still "Bump City". With songs like "You've Got to Funkifize", "You Strike My Main Nerve", "Down to the Nightclub", and "Skating on Thin Ice"... great stuff.;)

14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    "Urban Renewal"

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    live in living colour

the newest live album (2000?)

and the most recent (2003)

you just can't go wrong with any of the old, old stuff

BTW, don't forget to buy the rocco video that was put out alexis sklarevsky (i really just messed up his name!)

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Everything listed above, also check out the early ToP album called East Bay Grease. It's got some nice early Rocco work.

The latest album called the Oakland Zone is getting a lot of play in the CD players of my house and car right now.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Rocco also has a solo album from a few years ago called "Everybody On The Bus" that is quite good also. It has a lot of T.O.P. alumni on it.

18. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yeah Phatbasstard!

I got that one. my favorite track is that remake of the funky '70s tune "Express Yourself". Rocco gets funky wit it!