advise wanted for car hifi subwoofer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassed dude, Mar 3, 2003.

1. go for no1!! u'll save some room in the trunk for wen you go shopping

8 vote(s)
  2. the 2nd one is best choice, modest speakers enough power. you might even have enough room left for a

3 vote(s)
  3. BLAST THE BOOT ! (no, it's not a bumpy road, the sub is acting up) you'll manage to get it all in, e

1 vote(s)
  1. hey I'm planing to 'upgrade' my car hifi with a subwoofer setup (amp + enclosure), i already made my mind about the brand, amp and model (beyma). Just not about the setup.

enclosure: 10" (€238) or 12" (€296):

amp: bridegd 2x 200W (€394) or bridged 1x 200W (€259) @ 4 Ohm

1st: 1x 12" (4 Ohm) enclosure (25-300Hz) with 150W RMS on a bridged amp 1x 200W RMS @ 4 Ohm

2nd: 2x 10" (4 Ohm) enclosures (30-350Hz) with 125W RMS on a bridged amp 2x 200W RMS @ 4 Ohm

3rd: 2x 12" (4 Ohm) enclosures (25-300Hz) with 150W RMS on a bridged amp 2x 200W RMS @ 4 Ohm

My first choise was nr 3, the only problem is that i've got a small 3 door car and i might not have the space for the 2 enclosures also the total power of 300W RMS is a bit overkill imo since my other spkrs are powerd by 4x 50W, so my second choise went to nr1. each time the amps are chosen with enough headroom for a nice clear non distorted sound.
    Lets say, money isn't an issue, tone is.

what would you do and why?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'd go with neither - I never understood the point of subwoofer's in cars.

BTW - your birthday is the day before mine :)
  3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I used two 12s for a while, but then I wanted more space to haul my rig around, so I sold one and built a smaller box to house a single 12. I'm much happier with one 12 because it isn't so overpowering.
  4. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    granted, I have jeep cherokee so space really isn't too much of an issue, but....

if you want more boom, then you should go for the 12's. If you wish to have clarity and boom, then go with the 10's. I think in your case since you have a way smaller space, just go with one 12. I think that would do you fairly well in this regard.
    Of course all of this is just my opinion, but that's probably what I'd do in your case.

5. I think you would be alright with choice number 2. the two 10''s pushing 400 watts at 4ohms should do the trick. with 2 12"s you lose alot of space and the bass that the subs produce won't be as tight as the 10"s. Also, do you have a stereo head (cd player/whatever) that has the stereo outputs for connecting the amp? Will you be doing the install yourself or get it done at a shop?
  6. 1- to moley: since i'm ice-ing the my little MIJ ( suzuki baleno hatchback) the point is to set my low pass filters at bout 160Hz everything below that freq. should go to the sub. so i can use more power for the other frequencies for a cleaner sound

2- to Nate Dawg: what you say about overpowering with 2 12"s the sub should indeed "fit in" not blow the rest away.

3- to Orco87:
    the idea is to go enhance the low end, not make it boomy or clarity, the high pass filter will be set at about 180Hz.

4- to NickB9876: I will do the install and setup myself, since the setup is a personal thing, you can't have someone else set you're gear up for you, i configure it the way i think it sounds best; no-one can do that for me. the subs come with the enclosures 'as one' for perfect match, it are closed box models so the bass will be tight anyway. I've got 4 ch. line out and 2 ch sub out on a cd/tuner (sony) And 'bout the 2 12"s i don't even know if they'll fit :)
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

What I don't really get is why it matters, in a car? I don't really understand why people spend lots of money on sound systems in their car. My take on it is that it's a car - its function is to get from A to B. I like to listen to music while I drive, but it doesn't matter to me if there ain't much bass - and definitely not worth spending money on. I've been in some people's cars where the music is *so* loud it's deafening - and the bass is *so* loud it's painful. I've actually feared for my hearing. Why anyone would wanna subject themselves to that is beyond me. I'm not saying you're like that though :)

But I'm not criticizing - if that's what you wanna do, go for it! :) I can't really advise you on what to get though. The main reason that I posted on this thread is that I noticed you're exactly one day older than me :D

8. Thats cool, I know setup is a personal deal, it's a fun project that is relatively easy to do. what kind/guage of wires are you going to use for the power and ground? i would recomend a 10 gauge kit with at least a 60 amp in-line fuse minimum.
  9. I personally have 2x12 in a band passbeing pushed by a 400 watt amp in my nissan x-terra. I had to install better door speakers,a new amp & better tweaters just so they would keep up with my subs.
    However, the ending result is a beautiful, beautiful thing.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Personally I spend more time listening to music in the car than I do at home. So I want the better sound to come from the one I listen to more often.

I've experimented with 10's, 12's and 15's. The cleanest, punchiest sound came from the 2x10's. The 12's and 15's were a bit muddy, especially for guitar based rock music.
  11. I'll be using these ixos cables at 5,26sq mm.
    with fuseholder
    and 50amp fuses
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My choice would be number 1 - a 1x12 takes lot less space than two-woofer setup, it's less expensive and probably (more than) enough for a small car.
  13. Cool, looks like your all set. All you need now is the RCA patch cord from the deck to the amp an a remote turn on lead, unless you already have that stuff. Good luck and I hope whatever you choose sounds good.:)
  14. Same thing here, i atleast spend an hour a day listening to music i my car just to go to work and back, at weekends thats easely up to 3 to 4 hours or even more! And a bad sounds just gets me annoyed i can't stand hearable tone cuts or missing low end, overwelming mid freq's..... hehe.

And yeah nick i'm quite set ready to get started Got the RCA plugs and cablesjust needt to install them, and that will prob be next weekend, i only need to order the amp and sub(s). :)
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    this is gonna sound crazy at first but hear me out.

I drive a wagon and have a 2x10 car sub cab. But on the way to gigs I have to remove it to fit my bass rig in. So guess what I did. I modified the car sub so it has a 1/4 inch input jack and ran the appropriate speaker cable to the car amp. That way, I can plug into either my car 2x10, or the 2x10 that's part of the bass rig. :)
  16. Sounds like a frealy good idea to me, only, you must get a diff tone from the car sub and your cab. does it make verry much difference? i don't own a cab at all (just a 60w practise combo :( (it gets the job done) so i just wondered.
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Very different tone. First of all ther bass rig 10's are louder because they're more efficient. So I have to turn the sub output level down. Then I adjust the equaliser till I like the sound.

I tried it once with the 4x10 bass cab and it sounded horrible. The single 15 was waaayyyy too boomy.