AEB Time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Aug 27, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    OK, my dad said he'd buy me an acoustic bass aslong as it was a reasonable price. So I'm looking for a good acoustic, that sint to pricy, that will be atleast loud enough to practice.
    Now I've heard that the tacoma thunderchief was as loud as an acoustic that true? Wat about the olympia version, is it still realy loud? And hwo would the micheal kelly dragonfly 5 compare?

P.S. Who has tried the tacoma bari guitar...with a 29 inch scale length, itd make a good acoustic bass VI!!!
  2. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    the tacoma bari guitar has a 29 inch scale but i think itd work as a bass six only ever played a regular one.
    Im REALLY Gasing for a thunderchief though. Also the Ovation B778 if you like synthetic bodies. Then if you want an upright style one and have 200 plus you can get the Takamine B10 but the Thunderchief is like 1000 and prob your best bet.
  3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I was in the market a while ago, and ended up getting a Sanatoga (google it, not too many people sell them). Its a rip off of a Michael Kelly, very affordable, and IMO better than any bass guitar except the tacoma thunderchief (well.. all of the mainstream ones. I havent heard or played the more esoteric and other tacoma models), but its a lot smaller. I guess if its just for practicing, get the Sanatoga. youll probably save like 1000 if you were going to be a tacoma (I bought mine for 379, which was -i think- the most expensive.) heres the link:

Oh, they seemed to have droppped the price 20 bucks.. good!
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    The new fender victor baily acoustic looks killer. BP compared the victor baily and the thunderchief in a previous issue saying that the VB had the zing but wasnt as liud and acoustically thumpy as the thunderchief. Iv'e played the thunderchief and its a fantastic bass that is impressivly loud.

Sorry to take a detour but what are Bass VI's. Are they like a guitar just an octave lower like a bass is but still with guitar like strings and tunning?
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I own a Tacoma 5-string, which is outstanding. It is as loud as an acoustic guitar. However, they're pricey. :meh: Mine was just over $1K new.

While I was looking, I played an Olympia. Had I not played the Tacoma, I might have been satisfied with it. It has the same body design, and was reasonably well made (not nearly as well made as the Tacoma), and was a pretty good deal -- around $400 new. However, the laminated body makes it project less volume. It still puts out a decent low E, but the overall volume is significantly less than the Tacoma. I also played a Michael Kelly Dragonfly, and the volume was about the same as the Olympia, though the construction was slightly better. The low E on the MK was a little disappointing though -- it has a smaller body (more comfortable!) than the Olympia, and hence moves less air.

The Michael Kelly model that DID impress me was the Soild AB. It had none of the quilting and vine inlay of the Dragonfly, but instead had a solid top and back instead of laminated ones, and put out much more volume, though not as much as the Tacoma. The Dragonfly, being laminated, doesn't resonate as well. If you really dig the vine inlay, there is a model called the "Dragonfly Rose" that has it, but with a solid top and back, which makes it sound like the Solid AB model. If you're curious, the Michael Kelly website has sound clips and descriptions of their models -- you can kind of hear how the laminated models don't sound as sweet as the solid-topped ones.

IMO, there's nothing that's commonly available that's as good as the Tacoma. The MK Solid AB would be my second choice, and at around $600 is a good deal cheaper than the Tacoma. The Olympia is a decent ABG for the money. I'd scour the bay for a used Tacoma if you can afford it, otherwise, look for the best MK you can get.