Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aebersold CDs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Which Aebersold CDs do TalkBass jazzers recommend as absolutely essential? I'm finding the Duke Ellington one my teacher lent me to be a very valuable learning tool, and since I won't have access to an instructor or to other musicians over the summer (I'll be interning somewhere), I want to spend some time woodshedding.

BTW, I plan to pick up all three volumes of the Sher New Real Book by the end of this school year, so getting charts shouldn't be too much of a problem.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I own about 60 of the play alongs (before you think I'm either rich or insane, many were comps), and I use some of them way more than others. Vols. 3, 16, and 21 are great "etude volumes" which allow you to work on ii-V-I's, turnarounds, and Ma/mi/Dom cylces, respectively. I find these to be not only essential, but also good company for 12 key practice of many kinds.

As for the rest, you just have to figure out what tunes you want to be learning and shedding and then buy the volume that has as many of those tunes as possible. Personally, I like Vol. 41, but there are many great ones, including Vols. 54 and 70 for beginning/intermediate players. Some of them also have available transcribed basslines. I can recommend these without hesitation, as I use them both in my teaching, and in my own personal practice routine.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Chris - and I don't even work for Jamey either! ;)

I use the "Getting it Together" and "Major/Minor" ones for practice all the time - probably the best investment in terms of usage obtained of anything I've bought!

I also agree that the best thing to do is get the ones relating to the music you like to play most. I liked the Horace Silver and Freddie Hubbard ones from this perspective - although I'm sure any of them would be equally as good.

4. Hmm...in that case, I'll probably pick up some of the ones oriented toward classic show/pop tunes, the "etudes," my own copy of the Duke Ellington one, and the Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter, and Charles Mingus CDs. (Do they have a Booker Ervin or Jaki Byard one?)

Also, is it worth it to get the books?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - on the Real Books - I bought the first one and the "Latin Real Book". I looked through 2 & 3 and to me, there is just too much that I don't really want to play - too much pop/lite stuff ; whereas the first one is more on the core of the Jazz repertoire.

There is also the new(ish) "Standards" Real Book to consider as well, which might be a better buy than 2 or 3. I think the best thing is to look at the listings of songs on their website and decide whether you actually want all these tunes - otherwise the Aebersold books allow you to choose more selectively.

I also bought a Hal Leonard version : "The REAL Little Ultimate Jazz Fake Book" (!) which is A5 size and much smaller but has 625 songs in fairly small print!!
    It is much more compact and I find I can carry it everywhere with me - whereas the Sher Real Books tend to stay at home.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just to clarify: I don't really "work for" Jamey...I do teach at his summer workshops for 2 weeks every year, and I play 1 or 2 gigs a month with him as bassist in his quartet. But he's not officially my "employer" in any way other than basic contract work. And while I do recommend some of his books, I have nothing to gain by trying to sell them - I recommend them because I use them myself. (yes, I saw the smiley...I just wanted to clear that up :) )

BOBBY McFERRIN,

If you're serious about becoming a better jazz player, I think that the New Real Books are a great resource. I own all three (yes, I paid for them myself), and over the years have accumulated a large stack of Real books, Fake books, Semi-Real books, you name it....you can never have too many of these, even though there will often be redundancies built into collecting music this way. I find that having as much stuff catalogued as possible comes in handy when you are looking for material on short notice, and is also good practice for reading new material.

Good luck.

SLICK FISHGEL

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey everyone... is there a nice resource online where you can buy aebersold cd's/books? if so could you please point me in that general direction.

Thanks
    Brian.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I use (I can't remember the volume #s right now), but the LEARNING TO IMPROV, MAJOR/MINOR, ii-V7-I, Duke Ellington, Killer Joe, Thelonious Monk, Maiden Voyage, and Nothing But the Blues. I love these CDs, they're really great to play along with.

The only thing I don't like is that it gets old just playing over people comping the chords all day long. Sometimes I prefer to get out a recording and play along with it just so that I have the melody. Of course, conversely, the Aebersold tapes are a great way to work on playing the melody and soloing.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

www.jazzbooks.com

Enjoy!

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I always say "I like the Bird book" & Ed always sez, "...it rushes like a Bluegrass bassist".

To clarify-
    I like the bass book to that Volume(#6, I think)...the tunes + seeing what Ron Carter played(some DEFINITE Carter-isms are very apparent).

I don't have the record/cd to play along with!
    ...is it that bad, Ed?

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Considering the circumstances, I probably shouldn't say anything too specific in a public forum. But I can say that I like the feel of some of the rhythm sections better than others. I'm kind of fond of the Bird volume because I copped a lot of piano voicings from Kenny Barron off of that one years ago, but other than that, it's been awhile since I listened to it. But I'm totally in agreement about the part of your post that said "try playing without the book" periodically. It's amazing how your ears often have something different to say than your brain when you do things like that.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry - I feel embarassed for mentioning this now - it was a joke in poor taste - it was just that when I first read the thread, you were the only person to reply - I know that you would never give any advice other than what you believed in and hope that nobody else would think this - it's great that we do have somebody on the board who works in music education and is willing to share their knowledge so freely!

Now I'm probably making both of us embarassed - I'll just shut up! ;)

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Jazzbo, if there are particular tunes that you like, I have Band in the box and I can export out to midi and then load that into Finale, save as finale and then you can load it up into Finale Notepad and work with that instead.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    KungFu-
    It's Carter(not Buster) + Barron & Riley on the Bird volume.