1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aebersold Summer Jazz Camp

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by XisB, Jun 1, 2013.

1. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Fellow bassists, I highly recommend that you come to the camp. It's really great value for the money. (it doesn't matter if you're just starting out or you're blazing up and down on the finger board).
    I spent two intensive weeks there last year working my piano and bass butt off! The ensembles are excellent, the theory classes were illuminating, the evening concerts inspiring.

And the bass faculty, I mean all these guys in one place, willing and able to answer all those questions you didn't know you had or were afraid to ask:
    • Rufus Reid
    • Lynn Seaton
    • David Friesen
    • Tyrone Wheeler
    • Chris Fitzgerald
    • Rich Armandi
    • Bob Sinicrope
    • J.B.Dyas

http://workshops.jazzbooks.com/

davpal likes this.
  2. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll be there.

Haha, everything I always wanted to know about jazz but was afraid to ask.

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Anonymat, I expect you'll have a great time. I went last year and am going again this year. But, I expect you'll have a great time because Aebersold's faculty and administrators are acutely focused on your having a good time. They will literally bend over backwards to keep you happy, so really, how could you be disappointed?

4. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to go. Maybe next year..

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In Sweden? :eyebrow:

6. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Louisville Kentucky

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just played a fun set with Eric Alexander, Jim Rotondi, Steve Davis, Steve Allee, and Colby Inzer tonight at the faculty concerts. It really is great to be a part of this year after year. Also got to hang out and do a little jiu jitsu with Corey Christiansen, who is a great player and great guy. The whole environment is just a great hang as well as a great learning experience.

Also met this thread's own Anonymatt, who is now just "Matt" as far as I'm concerned. Nicetameetya, Matt. :D

davpal likes this.
  8. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Chris, you're a super teacher! Now I have to check out your videos like I've been meaning to.

Thanks again for letting me borrow your electric.

The camp is a great experience. I'm pretty sure I'm going to return next year. Met lots of inspiring people and got great ideas for my practice going forward.

9. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh yeah, Chris is wicked on bass too!

10. erniej

erniej

Dec 14, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I went and had a great time. Plus I met Chris and Matt and a bunch of other really nice people from all over that love jazz. My combo experience was better than I had anticipated and the staff concerts were fantastic. I will do it again.

11. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ernie!

12. Tom Lane

Just got back last night. Still recovering. Aside from the jet-lag, which seems to hit me worse at the camp then when traveling on business, it was a VERY intense week for me. My combo-mates were pretty well matched, I thought. The drummer was 16 but very well developed with great time. He listened well and was working on responding to the soloists. Very supportive group of folks. Nailed a private lesson with Rufus which was extremely helpful, focusing on my left-hand technique. Master classes with Lynn Seaton and Chris Fitzgerald were effectively semi-private lessons with just 1 to 3 other students. Both were very helpful and packed with great info. At this point, I believe Lynn Seaton is a genius at both playing and teaching. Very helpful *play with the faculty* class with Tom Walsh who was great to play with and had very appropriate tips to help us get to the next level. If you're a student of playing jazz on your instrument, Aebersold's camp cannot be beat, IMO.
    Friday night, I got to hear Jamey, Dick Sisto on vibes and piano, Rich Armandi - bass, and Jonathan Higgins on drums at the Seelbach Hotel bar. Good show! All played great but I particularly enjoyed Sisto and Higgins.
    On the lighter side: I went to breakfast in downtown Louisville yesterday morning at a popular restaurant with gourmet intentions. Lemon souffle pancakes and an omelette. One bite in and it was like eating again after a year without food. The food at the camp this year was - inexpensively produced? I heard it commonly referred to as *swill*. Maybe a bit harsh, but in the ballpark. And got up this morning to get a shower with some water pressure and realized how much I missed it. Still, I'll go again next year if I can, even if I have to go without food and a shower for the week.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interesting.. the summer school which I am going to on Sunday and have attended the last 15 years or so, has no instrument tuition and makes a policy of it. They say it's all about playing together as an ensemble - playing Jazz! :cool:

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I agree. :)

15. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I did one in London back in 2005 and loved it. John Goldsby and Bob Sinicrope had a huge impact on my playing. I would love to go to this one as it's a stellar line up!

16. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    +1 I spent a week at the jazz camp at UNT a couple of years ago. Lynn was a true gentleman and an awesome bass player. You should hear his arco solos.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been teaching alongside him for the past 12 years. I've heard plenty. :)

18. Tom Lane

Still, they are brilliant. I'm thinking he's our generation's Ray Brown. I've taken lessons with both he and John Clayton, and of course, they're both brilliant and clearly Ray Brown students, but, I've transcribed a lot of Ray Brown's playing and Lynn reminds me so much of Ray's playing. It's almost as if Ray lived another 20 years. Subjective opinion, of course, but still, it's great to be able to be exposed to such brilliant musicians. And, nobody can show Lynn anything arco, MO.

19. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    At the UNT camp Lynn started off one of the bass classes with the statement that his day starts and ends with Ray Brown.

20. Tom Lane

:D