1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshop - Places left for bassists.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by XisB, May 19, 2012.

1. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bass faculty: Rufus Reid, Lynn Seaton, David Friesen, John Goldsby, Tyrone Wheeler, Chris Fitzgerald, Rich Armandi, Bob Sinicrope, J.B.Dyas

Places left for bassists.

http://www.summerjazzworkshops.com/

2. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Are you coming to the workshop?

3. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes I'm going - both weeks - week 1 disguised as a pianist, week 2 on the bass.
    Thought I'd might as well get my two weeks worth as I'm travelling from afar.

4. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Great.... Looking forward to meeting you there. It'll be worth the trip.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    +1

Are you bringing a bass?

6. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you're asking me then no. To much hassle, but the organizer has booked a bass and amp for me (thank you Jason, the workshop is really well organized) - albeit a bass from the school - but I'll make do. All I need to bring is a pick-up and a cable . . . and maybe my bow.

7. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    I'm not bringing a bass either. I might just sing my parts . . .

8. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That sounds hot! Maybe I'll join you and we'll form a double-bass duo . . . .

I know . . . bad joke . . . :)

9. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    The Aebersold camp is a wonderful opportunity that more people should take advantage of! Last year I went for the first time, and I learned things that have completely changed the way I hear harmony. The after-dinner piano class was helpful with this; thanks, Chris Fitzgerald! A brief lesson with Rufus Reid was also a catalyst. He made me play changes on a tune using only one string! The exercise is intended to train the ear to use notes other than the root to outline harmony.

I've been playing for 20 years and can't believe I waited so long to do the camp. I should have done it ten years ago!

10. Not attending due to work but I do hope to make it to a few concerts this year. Hopefully will catch some of the guys playing out and about the city as well.

11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I attended Jamey's Camps in the 70s and studied with Rufus Reid, Ron McClure and Bob Bowman as well as David Baker and Jamey. I have had several Belmont students and High School students attend as well and it was a life-changing experience for them. If you haven't been, you should definitely go!
    If I weren't teaching at another camp one week and doing NAMM stuff the next I would be sorely tempted myself. Just being able to see David Friesen play, let alone study with him, is worth the price of admission-to say nothing of the rest of the World Class Bass Talent there!

12. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I also recommend the camps; the two summers I attended were huge for me. The lessons I had with Chris, Rufus, John, and Bill Moring were easily worth the price of admission by themselves.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    First bass & drum workshop starts tomorrow. It will be great to see everybody and get underway, and weird that Scott Henderson won't be there for the first time in the 15+ years I've been teaching the camps. RIP Scott.

14. +1

the best part of the jamey camps is getting to see all these dudes for free on campus or around town.

15. XisB

XisB

Jul 28, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The camp was effing great! I had a marvelous time.
    Many thanks to the stupendous bass faculty!!

Performing Blues in the Closet:

16. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    How advance should one be before attending one of these camps?...

17. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    The Aebersold camps accept students at all levels. Some players come who have just bought an electric or acoustic and they don't really know where the notes are on the neck. We have a lot to offer players like that to get them functioning in a combo situation.

Others are hobby bass players who play pretty well already and want to improve their skills. Then there are professional and college-level bassists who attend and are always fun to hear and work with—we had players from the Monk Institute and from US military bands at the last camp.

Back in the early '80s when I had just started teaching at the camps (alongside Todd Coolman), we did one in San Jose. Larry Grenadier (age 14 at the time) was a student. He was pretty darn good, even then ;)

If you're just starting out, it would be a good idea to listen to jazz before you go to the camp. There are a lot of threads here about who and what to listen to. You can also check out the Aebersold site and download the "Jazz Handbook" under the "Free Jazz" pull-down menu on the right. (That's "free" as in without cost as opposed to the other meaning). You'll get an idea from the handbook about what is taught at the workshops.

There are a lot of good jazz workshops around, but I can vouch for the quality of the Aebersold camp teachers. They have the ability and dedication to reach and teach all levels of players.

18. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I have to agree with John. I just got back from my first time there. I've been playing for about 5 years and botched my audition, but still, when I asked to be moved to a different combo, Jamey handily dealt with the situation. One of the things that's truly amazing about the Aebersold camps, aside from the great teachers/players and first-rate organization, is the ability to place players of all levels. I spoke with pros and novices and all had a great time working with the faculty, not to mention the other 300 people absolutely dedicated to learning more about jazz for the week. I think there's a lot of folks wishing it could be 50 weeks a year instead of 1.

19. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    ok..then I think I'll look into it seriously...BTW..John, I have bought 99%of my books from the Aebersold site and basically listen to nothing but jazz..my hero?..Scott Lafaro...I played electric for a little over a year then touched an upright...the electric is gone..but not forgotten..I love my used upright..trouble for me is finding a qualified teacher in my home town..you think you found one and then someone craps on them leaving you in doubt...I'm seriously considering the John Patitucci site for my training...I would love to attend one of the Aebersold camps but thought I should get a little more experience first...is there a website with a list of future classes? I live in Ottawa Canada so something relatively close would be ideal....are you John of John and the jazz book technique author?

20. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    That's me . . . The Jazz Bass Book, Jazz Bowing Techniques for the Improvising Bassist, WDR Big Band, Bass Player Magazine, etc etc etc.

The Aebersold camp usually only happens two weeks per year now, during July, in Louisville, KY. Where you live in Ottawa, you should be able to find a lot of good teachers and other players to play with.

Check out Peter Hum (piano, blogger, newspaper journalist), and the stellar bassist, bandleader, author and TalkBass member Adrian Cho. Either of them would be able to guide you to finding a teacher or playing situation in Ottawa.

Good luck!