Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aeon Flux Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Ok, I know it's a little late to complain, but has anyone else heard about Charlize Theron playing Aeon in the live action movie that's being produced?

I haven't really heard anything about the movie, nor seen any type of website for it, only hearing about Charlize getting injured.

I just don't see her in the role.

Aeon Flux is one of my long-standing favorites in anime, ever since the Liquid Television days, and justifyably, am really concerned about this excellent story turning into yet again another crappy all gloss Hokeywood production.

Anyone else a fan? Anyone got any info? Thoughts??

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Aeon Flux has a story??!

3. Yes, it does. Would you like a synopsis?

The unfortunate thing, as I get what you're saying, is that the story had no resolve, as the series was discontinued. But at the heart of it, aside from the shorts, there was a cool espionage type scenario wrapped in dominatrix-sexy overtones.

imo, anyway.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I wonder if it'll have as many homosexual overtones as the cartoon. :bag:

5. I bet it won't (and that goes for both genders...Aeon was quite a switch hitter herself), and that lies at the very heart of why the whole idea of creating the movie is wrong, because they'll screw it up.

I agree with your sentiment, much as I agree they'll just vamp up closeups of Charlize's ass in the bondage outfit, and forego the spooky qualities, and the amoral goings-on, and the overall uniqueness will be lost.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    i used to watch that cartoon all the time on MTV. i was sad when i disappeared. i always liked trevor.

Mon....i would like a brief synopsis please.

-Mike

7. Ok:

About 400 years in the future a viral plague wipes out most of humanity save for a collective of survivors that hole themselves up in a glass-domed city that is not-so impervious to disease, which is called Bregna. This city is run by Scientists, and Chairman Trevor Goodchild. They imposed martial law on the citizens, and built a fortified wall that separated the city into two halves, and the outcasts, sick, and non-supporters are banished to this other half, known as Monica.

Monica knows that Trevor has willingly supported experiments on his citizens, and that the city is not fully immune to the virus, yet has essentially enslaved the populace to his bidding. He is a corrupt, narcissistic, and quite sexually deviant dictator who happens to be quite smitten with a Monican spy named Aeon Flux. As with all Monican raids of terror on Bregnan factories and whatnot, Aeon goes about her business, but unlike other spies isn't always a "wanted" person...

Aeon and her kind simply want to be recognised, as well as exposing Trevor and his cohorts for the sadistic manipulators they are, in a Matrix-y sorta way, to expose the truth...

Where the series and its shorts failed, was in flushing out the story, the shorts resorted to unchecked violence and bloodshed, and the "coherent" series never got the chance to continue, once it started to get going...

Either way, I at least hope Doug Chaing has a big part in the writing and editing for this movie...

8. Aeon Flux Rules!!!!

C T may not be to bad a choice. She did prove to be Quite the camelion in Monster. At least a better actor than Halle Barry.

I think Angelina Jollie would have been great if not for Tomb Raider.

Who else? Whats her face from MIB II Lara Flynn Boyle.
    Probably should have gotten an unknown.

But Aeon Flux was one of my favs. Come to Speak of it so was the Maxx Gotta go look for some cool giffs for avatars!!!

9. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Exactly how I feel. While the characters weren't particularly my cup of tea I found the world they were set in one of the most fascinating ever.

Some of the episodes just blew my mind. Remember the one where Aeon clones herself, the Demagogue, the underwater cube, the wire frame robot that goes in your navel. Mind bending stuff.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    thank you Mon.....i was never able to figure out what was going on, i just liked the graphics. :)

-Mike

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, I agree. I think CT is a bit to "Girl Next Door" looking for th part. It needs to be someone a bit more exotic. Lara Flynn Boyle would be a good choice.

12. Here ya go :D
    Kinda looks like LFB

13. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, Lara Flynn Boyle would be a better choice. They would just have to do some major bra stuffing :D .

14. Looks Like A Good Match

15. An unreal good match. I was thinking her, or Monica Bellucci (and her first name is so fitting :D ) or someone just generally a bit more exotic, sleek / angular, a bit more overtly seductive, pantherine, you know....right for the part.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Bellucci would be good..or Famke Janssen or Carrie-Anne Moss.

brad cook

17. Famke Janssen

holy crap that would be perfect. GOOD call. She even has the correct eyebrow "thing".
    And she can act pretty good in genre.

Oh well.
    v:O)~

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I really liked the Alexander the Great series they did. (I forget the name of it)

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    An article I ran across about the movie. I guess they're finished with filming by now:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=179178

I still don't think Theron particularly has the look for this role but the director explains why he wanted her in the article. I think his reasons are valid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brad cook

20. Brad, I cannot thank you enough for the link. Every search I had tried lately came up nil.

Thanks for digging this up for me.