AER Amp One or Walkabout Scout 12??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkmaster p, Apr 1, 2017.

1. funkmaster p

funkmaster p Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I am finding myself in a lot of situations that call for a smaller rig. I am looking for a combo with great tone for lower volume gigs that would also be useful on bigger gigs with PA support. I will most likely never be able to sit down and give an A/B comparison of these two amps. Anyone have any experience with both?

One consideration I have is resale if I eventually want to sell it. Many people on Ebay auction their Walkabout Scouts as local pickup only because of the weight. This seems like a major limitation.

Also, has anyone ever used these amps with keyboards or acoustic guitar? Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Lots of choices in today's market. Just curious, why these two?

3. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    From what I have read, these two amps have a reputation for outperforming just about all larger combos. I frequently play in spaces where we are cramming 5 dudes into a space best suited for 2 or 3. Not wanting to sacrifice sound quality in favor of small size.

I favor a combo because there are many times when I leave one gig and go straight to another. I may need to be set up and ready within 5 minutes. There are also rare instances where there is an overlap in the booking schedule and I will be joining a band's set already in progress.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Stumbo likes this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your max budget?

5. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    For new, 1400-1500, used about $1000.

6. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    I've used both. AER Amp One weighs 29lbs (a little more with the beautiful heavy duty padded amp bag). Easy one hand carry. Mesa weighs 51 lbs, not really a one hand carry. AER has a smaller footprint. Both amps sound great. I think the AER could be more versatile, especially since it has an AUX channel with a gain pot that can be used a second channel (Aux also runs through the excellent two knob compressor) More Mesa amps out there in North America.

funkmaster p likes this.
  7. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Thanks for this helpful info.

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I don't have any experience with the AER aside from sampling it at a music store..it was quite impressive but way too pricey for me. I do have extensive experience with the Walkabout. I have 2 Silver faced Scouts .. one in NYC and I keep one in Florida when I do shows down there..the amp I keep in Florida is often borrowed by my brothers Hammond/keyboard player and he loves it.
    I have used the Scout ( 4 Ohm) on hundreds of gigs..it's an amazing sounding amp and really fills the stage with high quality sounds.. I have plugged it through a PA and have never experienced any problems with volume. They are on the used market for decent prices .. IMHO...I think the 15" version is too big and tends to be muddy and lacks the clarity of the 12" version. The fact that you can remove the WA head from the combo and use it with other cabs was a nice feature as well.. I always use a luggage cart and it makes moving the Scout a snap..

Al Kraft and funkmaster p like this.
  9. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Thanks, Dan!

57pbass likes this.
  10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    The difference between the silver faced and the black finish is that the silver has a passive input and an active input ..the black finish has a toggle switch that allows you to select passive or active which activates/deactivates the pad..I don't know if there are other differences..
    I also always use an Auralex Gamma Isolation Platform with the Scout because of the passive radiator..

11. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    This is good to know. Thanks

57pbass likes this.
  12. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I don't know if any are available in your area but i've had a Schertler B10 for a while now and am hugely impressed with it. Seems to be similar specs to the two you're looking at (300w, 10" and tweeter combo, 18kg) and the sound is really amazing for such a small unit. Very versatile, great clarity, excellent DI etc etc. I always go through the PA and usually play with acoustic trio so i'm never having to drive it hard at all. I also made my own kickback stand which works really well.

I'd only ever known Schertler for their acoustic amps (some of the best in the business..... easily as good as AER), took a chance with this one and could not be happier. The fact that acoustic guitars sound pretty good through it is just a bonus. They also make a 12" combo as well.

I have heard that they were either discontinuing or upgrading the line and some decent deals were to be had if you could find one.

13. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I will definitely read up on the Schertler. Thanks for your input.

14. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    should also mention that the AER does not have passive extension speaker capability..though there is an output for a powered subwoofer speaker. 200 very loud watts, it's an analog power amp.

funkmaster p likes this.
  15. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    This is good to know that the AER has good real world volume for its 200 watts. This past weekend I borrowed a friends GK MB112 which is also 200 watts. It was loud enough for a duo on one gig, however the next night I played a full band gig with PA support, and the MB112 didn't have enough clean headroom for my liking. Also, with no high frequency driver, my slap sound was mush.

I realize it is unfair to compare a $400 amp to either the Mesa or AER.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not owned or gigged a WalkAbout Scout combo, though I have been gigging my WalkAbout head for years, and I have played the Scout 1x12 combo in a music store. I do own an AER amp one, and I love it. The amp one is far louder than you would expect for its size or power rating, and it sounds fantastic. Very flexible tone. That being said, I would likely not be able to gig with it (or any combo of similar size). In fact, with the WalkAbout, I can just barely get up to giggable volumes by using fairly efficient cabs with a decent amount of cone surface area. No way would a Scout combo, on its own, carry a gig for me. With an extension cab, maybe, but not on its own.

Obviously, we all have different gigging needs, and I'm sure many players can get by with less volume than I need to compete with a moderately heavy drummer, guitar and keys. IME/IMHO, and YMMV!

funkmaster p and HaphAsSard like this.
  18. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Thanks, Tom. I have done a lot of searches on TB on the AER and have gotten some good info from your posts.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  19. Both are great alternatives, but if weight and form factor are two of the ultimate concerns (of course, along with the tone), I would look into Acoustic Image Clarus SL, coupled with a 10" speaker from Euphonic Audio (the Wizzy 10) or Barefaced! Clarus SL and EA have been amazing for small size gigs... Sorry, if I distract you from the topic...

20. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Will look into your recommendation. Thanks!