1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AER Bass One & Bass Two Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Lee, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    I am looking for comments regarding the sound and volume either of these two amps can produce. I have heard the Amp One in the store - sounds good to me - don't know if it has enough umph for live 4 piece band. I do have availability to run thru the mains. Will it cover what I need on the stage?

Thanks for your comments.
    Wes

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    More info needed. I've personally never heard of AER amps, maybe someone else here has, but you may want to include alot more info about the amps in question, ie: wattage, speakers, etc. Pictures are good, too.

3. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    My apologies for lacking appropriate info - been following talkbass for 1 - 2 years but just signed up today. AER (Audio Electric Research -) is located in Germany and they make high quality, high dollar acoustic guitar amps, PA and bass amps.

The amp one is a 30 lb combo amp with a 10" Sica speaker. It is driven by a 200w power amp and moves some air. The tone is quite good, full bottom and even on top. It has a full compliment of jacks and is built very well. I have heard this amp at a New York store and also at Willies American Guitar in St. Paul, MN.

I have not figured out how to add the picture yet, but web site for this is:[​IMG].

I am currently using Bergantino's (HT-112, ER-112 with an Iamp 800. I like this set up alot however, the AER is quite appealling.

The amp-two is brand new consisting of 240w of power with a 12 in neo and 4" mid-high speaker. This weighs in at 52 lbs.
    I have not heard this one but feel it would be an improvement over the amp-one with significant volume available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Wes

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    TB'er Bassflute has posted about these amps a few times. I've only heard the guitar models, which are quite nice in many ways but very directional in their output IME.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I have used the Amp One on several small gigs as well as a personal monitor or relatively quite stages, with great success (PA takes care of the crowd volume). If you are close to a loud drummer, then it's not going to cut it as a personal monitor. The tone is great though

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like some nice stuff, but I would never buy a combo amp with less than a 12" spkr. That rules out amp one. Amp two, otoh, sounds interesting. Similar to my Mesa Walkabout (300 watts, 1x12). Of the 2, that sounds like a winner, especially with the included 4" mid driver.

7. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks for the input on the AER product. Fullrangebass - I had the same concern when trying in the store. You have actually used it on a gig - this is valuable info - thanks!

As Passinwind suggested, maybe I can get some comments from Bassflute or Tom Bowlus on these amps. Any and all comments would be helpful.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would love to get one of these rigs in for testing in the mag. :cool:

9. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Two is even better live ;)

I've also heard that four Amp Ones make them Pro Touring capable.

One is mighty fine in the studio, good with a dynamic drummer and FOH support, or if the drum monkey is behind plexi shields.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

10. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    My hat is off to you for "going with your gut" and purchasing one of these. Your comments are appreciated. Could you let me know how the Sunday rehersal goes with this amp? My intentions are to use this onstage with PA support in a moderate volume 4 piece. Can't wait for your next post.

11. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    How did the gig go with the Amp One? I can't wait to hear.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    one of the best...very very small... haven't heard the amp two yet.

It will have a LONG way to go to beat or even equal a Berg IP though...

Cheers,
    Cameron

13. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Awhile back, after the last NAMM show, I asked Fred Coyner about the new Amp Two as I have been using a Fender P-Bass 5 with one of the acts I work with. He replied that he heard the Amp Two proto and wasn't at all knocked out over it, and felt that the Amp One had better tone.

He's the one that recommended I just get a second Amp One and chain them together. Fred also mentioned a high profile bassist just bought four Amp One's for this summers tour and has dumped all of his big guns.

In the for what it's worth department I was able to audition the Amp One with an FBT jolly sub 10/a recently. Although it sounded quite nice and would handle most live situations w/o FOH support it really defeats the intent of the Amp One as it weighs 61 lbs. and measures approximately 14x19x21 with 300 watts rms of onboard power. Two Amp Ones weigh 60 lbs. So an Amp One + an FBT sub are close to my M6 Carbine combos weight class.

IMHO and IME.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

14. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    Isn't Fred Coyner the US Rep for the AES product line? Interesting comment he had on the Amp Two - thou, if he heard it he would probably know.

I agree, once you start adding additional active speakers or subs you begin to loose the advantages you were after in the beginning.

Cameron and MrBEAR, thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
    Wes

15. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I've never played these amps and never will; they are way out of my price range. However, wouldn't the benefit of these types of amp be the scale-ablity of them? Small gig or rehearsal= X1 Amp One or Two. Medium gig or loud band rehearsal= X2 Amp One or Two or X1 Amp One with Sub. And so on.

16. tlhettema

tlhettema

Apr 28, 2007
    I bought an AER Amp in the Netherlands one last month. Until now I have used it with my double bass for a trio gig and for a 16 person big band rehearsal. In both cases without problems. A full, natural sound in all registers, and loud enough to handle the situation. My master volume was not more than 25% open.
    I suppose that many of the eq possibilities are useful for bass guitar players (bass boost, colour, compressor), but I did not need them. That must be different for e-bass and bass guitar.

So the Amp one offers many profits: natural sound, versatile, lots of reserve, light to carry. Only the price is high. (I paid € 1255 = $ 1585). But it is surely a good investment for acoustic players.
    If the price is not a problem, the only serious rival I know is the Dutch Hevos (www.hevos.nl), which offers a beautiful 10' Midget Combo with even 400 W power, weighing some 40 lbs (19 kg). But you may pay € 1450 (some $ 1830) for that one...

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

TecAmp makes both a 110 and 112 combo that seem very good also, and are really lightweight (each under 30 pounds). FYI.

18. Wes Lee

Wes Lee

Apr 24, 2009
    tlhettema - thank you for your input on this amp. RGB003Bass, have you had a chence to reherse with this amp yet? I'm still riding the fence and welcome your input.

19. phaskell

phaskell

Jun 17, 2009
    118 Glen Avenue, Elmira, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Stromberg Guitars
    Full Range Bass,

I just received an Aer Amp One via UPS this morning and I am curious to know what settings you use. I am not very familiar with compression and ratio. Also mid freq settings. I am in a oldies/country band and, although we do a lot of outdoor venues, we are not a loud band. I have been using a Genz Benz ML200 112T and do enjoy that amp but it weighs 50 lbs. I am playing a 1966 Fender P-Bass. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

20. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Are you attempting to emulate the tone on the original covers or just looking for a solid supportive tone for the gig?

As to the mid-frequencies may I suggest that you set the "middle" control all the way to the left and have a friend slowly rotate the "freq." control across its range. Push the bandwidth button and run through the range again, take note of any position that pleases your ear. Then turn the "middle" control all the way to the right and repeat the cycle. Somewhere within the range available you should find your "Secret" setting which may be fine tuned by adjusting the "middle" control for more or less emphasis in your frequency range/bandwidth setting choice. However all of this goes out the window once you change the amount of rolloff for the tone control on your P-Bass. Remember the middle control is your friend.

Short version of the compressor controls are the Threshold sets the input signal level at which the compressor engages. The ratio control determines how "hard" the compressor clamps down on the signal. A very short version that I hope adds some clarity to the owners manual description after translation.

YMMV

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR