Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aero dual coils run passively

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aram, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Does anyone have experience running Aero dual coils with a passive circuit? How do they sound? Is a preamp necessary? Anyone know of any sound clips of this setup?

Thanks!

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Some background:

I'm not happy with the sounds coming out of my main bass right now (pictured in my avatar) which has active Basslines and an OBP-3. I love the bass for its playability and unplugged sound, but I've been trying to explore possibilities to make a warmer, more pleasant amplified tone.

I've heard great things about Aeros, but I have only tried their dual coils with active circuits. Since they cost so much, I don't think I can afford to have them with a preamp in my bass.

So I was thinking of getting an all-passive arrangement, but I have no way of trying this out that I can think of. If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance!

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Why not use your current pre amp? Either way Matt Pulcinella uses Aero single coils without pre amps quite a bit. The duals should sound pretty good also.

I had active basslines and also wanted a smoother warmer tone, I now happily have Bartolini dual coil P2's. So that's one more of your many options :)

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I would use the OBP-3 that's currently installed, but I'd like to have some knobs dedicated to coil taps and a passive tone taper.

Barts are definitely an option, but I'd like to explore the Aero route first if I can somehow determine how they would sound all-passive. I'm actually getting Aero J-pickups put in a four string I bought that has an active/passive setup, but I'm sure they're a much different beast than the dual coils.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Aero's sound great passive (as long as you like the sound of the pickups anyway). I recommend the K series dual coil. Excellent transparent sound. If you want to try a different pre, I'd say maybe go for a demeter. I never have liked the Aguilar stuff.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Jared -- you don't happen to know of any sound clips do you? Can you think of a similar sounding pickup so I could get a ballpark idea of how they sound?

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hi Aram-
    I could make you some recordings of my bass I suppose, but I don't have the capability at the moment to make quality recordings. Plus, you would be hearing the "bass" not the "pickup" because of the transparent nature of them. Does that make sense? Basically it would really help to play a bass with them in person to really see what I mean.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's a good thing -- I love the unplugged sound of my bass. The Bassline soaps color them unfavorably IMO. I might just take the plunge on these.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks -- I've checked out the site, but it's hard to get a concept for how they sound. I might have to track down some Foderas that are Aero-equipped and flip them over to passive mode.

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The thing is most of the Fodera's I know of that have Aero dual coils are the Fodera shop models. Not the same thing. It's going to be very tough to find a Fodera with the K series pickups in them because it's not what they normally use. That being said the Aero Fodera dual coils are great pickups. Probably my second choice under the K series. But again this is just based on *my* bass. It's too bad you don't live closer to SoCal. ;)

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

That's true -- I wonder how different they really are though. I'm sure both go for that 'transparent' vibe, so I'd imagine the difference is subtle. I might swing by the Fodera factory again and see if I can talk to Joey about their custom Aeros...maybe they'll even sell me a set :D

I do have a good friend in LA (also a bass player...and he's looking at 4-string Monarchs right now), so if I get out to visit him anytime soon, I'll shoot you a PM, and maybe we can meet up.

Cheers,
    A