Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aero E series pickup - first hand experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommy Gunz, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Hi all, I'm planning on getting a single Aero E4jd pickup on a custome fretless bass. It'll be placed near the bridge position as I'm trying to go for a nice clear low mid growl. Does any of you have a bass with similar setup? If so, which options did you go for? I was originally thinking of the SHB but Larry from Aero said that the SHB has more 'top end sparkle' than the PHC - As a fretless I don't think I'll need much extra top end emphasis, so should I use the PHC? Also, what magnet type do you use? He said Alinco 5 is pretty much the standard, and if I've never heard their Alinco 2 and 3, then it's probably not a good idea to spend the money just to experiment with them. So I'm hoping that some of you have one, may be in Alinco 2 or 3, so you can let me know what you think of them. He said that they're more bass and mid concentrated which I think will help to shape the tone that I'm looking for. Thanks for any input.

2. It's probably a long shot.
    I'll just bump it once.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, going out on a limb here- but i must say..
    the Aeros ive heard have been nothing special- and they charge fortune!!
    Aeros?? no thanks, not for me... this is my humble opinion and a basist and hope i dont get blasted by Aero for this-- but it is a freedom od speech country- so...

4. That's OK. Of course you can say what you want since I did asked for first hand experience.

I'm looking into Aero because it was highly recommended by a HC bass forum member whom I repected a lot - he had played all kind of high end gears and and he's a total gear snob (in a good way). I've aslo heard their single coil pickup on a jazz bass in Oakville jazz festival last summer. I talked to this local bassist after the show and he was showing me his custom jazz bass which has a set of Aero single coil. I like what I heard, but now that I think about it, he also had an Aguilar OP3 preamp in it and played through a nice EA combo, may be that's what giving the good sound? Possibly. But that's why forum like this is great because I can ask around for other people's opinion.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Adrian, I've played several basses now with Aero's and can say that I haven't heard an Aero yet that sounded good. I've played several benavente's with Aero's and while they seemed to be decent basses, they sounded horrible. They all lacked low end. I played a singlecut 4 string with Aero's and then I put in a set of Lane Poors or Barts, can't remember which, and the bass came alive. I had an Elrick with Aero's that had no lows until I put in a set of Bart's.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well- im not the only one then!1
    and folks, Peter Parker runs music store , so i think that carries a lot of weight--
    what really blows my mind is that ero wnats $500 for double coils! $350 for the pups and $150 for the wood covers!!

for that kinda $ they better blow me away!!
    no way, - i was unimpressed as well- an Im a store owner- so i guess neither Peter Parker or I will get any friendly offers from Aero- but i heard what i heard..

7. wow. This really took me by suprise then.
    I knew about the price and I agree it is quite steep, and if they're really not all that impressive, may be I consider other option.

Do you guys have any suggstion? Again, it's for a custome fretess, with a single bridge position pickup couple with piezo saddles, possibly RMC's Wilkinson's saddles, or Graphtech.

8. I forgot to mentioned, I'm going for a nice articulate low mid growl type of tone. It's going to be wire passively, with the exception of the active preamp buffer for the piezo. I know Bartolini is defintely a prime candiate, but for the configuration that I want, they're so hard to fine. I also want to have wood pickup cover for it, so hopefully the pickup is either custom wound or the existing cover is able to come off.

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi,
    Well, to each his own. I respectfully disagree with the honorable member from Las Vegas (Hey Adrian! ;) ).

I like Aero pickups a lot, and I don't find them to lack bass. For your purposes I'd recommend Larry's type II wind with bar magnets. It has more low mid emphasis. True, they are expensive, and I understand that you don't want to spend a lot of money experimenting. I just thought I'd add my $0.02 (Canadian) and vote yes on Aeros.

best,
    Laurence

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Laurence!! i resemble that!!;)
    actually- im glad you commented, because every dicussion needs two sides- and seeing that you are a bassmaker, annd one i respect- i would say you have a lot more experience than me with them- i have only heard them a couple of times and enough to know i m not interested-
    but your comment carries lot of weight with me, so i take it all into account- with much respect, brother.
    I myself am Dimarzio Ultra J fan - and have heard some greta sounding Seymor Duncans- my ideal pickup sound is in the F basses i play-
    it so peronal with pickups and so much comes into play- wood , electronics- scale, construction- its hard to tell- but for example.. Benavenete offers the Aeros- i have played the BP test bass- i prefer the ULtra Js- and seeing as they come standard and the Aeros are $500 upgrade, well- even if they were the same price, i would still choose the Dimarzio over the aero- that s just me, though- and my opinion and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee a Denny's!!-

11. Ok. Points taken.

On a side note, should I tell Larry to drop by here and address the different opinions? or I should just leave him out of it?

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    your call- i know he wont be happy to read my opinion- or PParkers- oh, well-- what do you expect him to say- he wont agree with me- thats for sure !!

13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Adrian,

Right back at you bro! (making peace sign while typing) :bassist: I agree that the "F" pickups rock, as does everything about George's wonders.

Hey Tommy,

I'm pretty sure Larry won't drop by. Last I spoke with him about it, I recall him voicing an opinion like "Well if people want to talk about pickups they should call me, and we'll talk." rather than surfing sites to discuss stuff. Not that he's a Luddite or anything. . . I think he's pretty flexible in what he makes, so you should be able to find what you are looking for.
    Best,
    LM

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW

I'd love to spout my opinion but I best not......

You can get as many opinions as people will post, but the best bet is to try them yourself.

I can say Adrian is right about the Ultra jazz sounding GREAT! They are very thick and growly!!

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Brian- whop'm , mon?? you back from the Islands?:bassist: < playing " Yellow Bird"

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    yea I made it back safely!

Water was BEAUTIFUL there!!!

People weren't that nice and the shopping sucked, but the Bahama's is beautiful. I think I like the shopping and the people in cancun. A lot more to do in cancun.

Ok back to the pickups :)

I also agree the Fbass pickups sound great as well, but they are made by SD. I think their my favorite pickups SD makes.

I have compared the Ultra Jazz with a preamp I won't mention (for being slamed as byass) to the F bass and I liked the Ultra jazz a little better, but the F bass was very close. The Ultra Jazz setup has the growl as the F but a little more bottom.

Can't go wrong with either, but you can't get the Fbass pickups but only in an Fbass :)

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    To get Bartolinis you might contact Jack Read at Read Custom Guitars. He has a reputation for being able to get Barts quickly, as well as being a very nice and helpful guy. However, as far as I know, all Barts are epoxied into their shells. But it would be worth asking, anyway.

18. I know that I've seen a handful of wood-covered Barts, on Foderas and maybe elsewhere. I've never seen any other information about them, but maybe Jack Read or someone else who deals with Bartolini a lot can tell you whether or not they're available special order.

Mike

19. Thanks for the info.
    I'll try to contact Jack Read about it.