Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Oct 30, 2005.

1. I've been looking at a Fender Jazz '75 Reissue that my friend has, and is willing to sell to me for 400. Its a fair deal, but the bass isn't putting out what I think it should. I was thinking of throwing an East UK EQ and some Aero Instrument pups. My problem is I have had no experience with Aero. Anyone out there have some in their Jazz Bass?
  2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Aero pickups are great!
    You'll enjoy them!
  3. Do you have any kind of description on them? I want a full, warm sound, with just enough punch. I was mainly looking into making the neck pick up on of thier Split PJs that fits into a standard jazz bass, so i would get a P/J sound in a standard Jazz
  4. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    SnakeAnthony, if you look in the pickups faq you'll find links to recordings I did of Aero pickups in a Geddy Lee Jazz
  6. Thanks for all the help guys.

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger....
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I don't know about the neck pickup you're describing but I have a PJ set in my Reverend. Full, warm and very punchy. I really like them a lot. I snagged a set of Type 1's that were a pull from a Lakland Darryl Jones and mounted them up in a MIM body I had a while back. Very nice. I pulled them out when I parted that bass out and they're in the box waiting for my next J project.

The Aero's come as close to my vision of what a really good vintage pickup should sound like as anything I've heard. Very nice pickups indeed. I would do that see what you think and then think about the J-Retro... you might find yourself staying passive.

8. +1 on the Aero version that comes in the DJ bass. It's just amazing. However, the Aero dual coils that come in the Fodera's and the ones in my Stambaugh (which sound very similar to the Fodera version) are very different. In single coil mode IMO they are very mellow and have very weak output. I don't like them at all, and like the Seymour dual coils much better. Actually, the Seymour Dual coil in single coil mode sound closer to the DJ Aero's than the dual coil Aero's in single coil mode.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I think the strength of the Aeros is their sound WITHOUT a preamp.
    I think they sound incredible passive.
  10. Yes ... go passive with Areos