Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AERO j

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 2, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    anyone hso uses this kind of pickup?
    comments are welcome

thanks

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hso means who, sorry bad typing today

3. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    They are great pickups, but at 100.00 each they are IMHO too much moolah!!

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I asked Larry Pollack at Aero what a typical Aero for a 5-string runs and he said $200-$250.

You can't even get a Bartolini for $100, so I don't think it's too much, relative to the market. Maybe you got a deal.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yikes, Rick !! $250.00!! That's a bunch!!

I was basing the $100.00 each on a quote I got from Aero on a standard Jazz PUP ($200 for a set).

I sell standard Duncan Jazz PUP's for under $50.00 each and stack coils for under $65.00 each, so to me it was a big chunk of change. On the other hand, if it's the sound you want I guess it's worth the extra bucks .....

6. rickbass

John - It could be because you were talking a single coil J-design with them and I was asking about a soapbar.

Or, maybe you were getting lowballed, or, I was getting highballed. I asked another Talkbasser about his Aeros and he mentioned that his pair cost $550.

When it came to decision time, I declined on the Aeros. I always thought Basslines, Barts, and Poors were great sounding and they weren't priced close to that neighborhood. (Shoot, my alnico Basslines MM came from the Duncan Custom Shop and it was only $160). So, I figured, how much magic can there be is some magnets and copper wire to warrant the price? :confused: If I was hemorrhaging money, fine.

Aero also told me that the soapbar model which gets ordered most often is the worst sounding of those they offer. But it had the sound people are familiar with, so it sells the most often.
    This made me a bit uncomfortable in terms of them executing the characteristics I wanted my pickup to have. As I understood it, you can only return a pickup that doesn't have the sound you were after if they think it's a model they can easily resell.

When I saw return policies of other brands, I dropped the Aero.

But you're in the instrument business, so I don't discount your input whatsoever.

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm looking for some custom passive pups for my Elrick. I have Barts in it right now, but they are too dark and the output is so weak. I send Aero and email, but I'd be curious to talk to SD as well. Did they do a good job on your custom pup?

8. rickbass

Don't know if they did a good job on the Custom Shop job from Basslines :( It's setting in N. Carolina for a while, waiting for its "home" to be built. I guess it's okay cosmetically....the luthier didn't complain. Something to think about though - the ceramic MM model for 5-string was $87 and the alnico, which I bought, was $160 (from Bass Central).

Not that price is always an indicator of great sound. But to be that much more, it has to have something going for it. One thing I do know from the few comparisons I've seen - the alnico is rounder, fuller, and smoother than the harsher, more brittle-sounding ceramic. But that's supposed to be one distinguishing characteristic between alnico and ceramic for any pickup.

5'll get you 10 that Larry Pollack at Aero emails you back telling you to phone. He doesn't like to deal through emails, apparently. If you call, get ready for a lesson in making pickups :D

9. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Im not made of money but I would not have a problem paying that much for a set of pickups. The pups are half of the sound of the instrument so why skimp on them especially if you have a good chunk of cash in your bass. IMHO most basses come with crap electronics and im not scared to throw them in the trash cuz thats what most of them are, even alot of expensive basses come with trash electronics ( warwick mec, amarican fenders,
    ibanez... etc the expensive models). When I buy a bass I buy for a solid build playability and sound, and if it sound good with crap electronics it will sound great with good electronics. It seems that alot of people overlook the option of changing electronics. What u think?