1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AERO Pickups - Huh?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RuleofThump, Jan 23, 2012.

1. RuleofThump

RuleofThump

Nov 10, 2011
    Hey guys,

Would love some help, I am currently working on my first custom build and im really interested in AERO pickups...

Anyone have any experience with them?

I am leaning towards the H series or K series...

Thanks,
    Or.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    IMHO Aero makes fantastic pickups. Very natural and full-range but in a bold, empowering way - not watery or transparent at all. (As always YMMV - nothing's for everyone.)

You should totally give Larry a phone call. IME he'll tell you all you want to know and then some! (He also answers e-mails.)

3. RuleofThump

RuleofThump

Nov 10, 2011
    Cheers man, that's great to hear! thanks.

Sent an Email...long distance calls are expensive! :)

I couldn't find a sample I didn't like of AERO pickups...

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Ive got a JB5 F type 1 set, nothing else to say but killin' pickups !! they will reproduce the natural character of your bass, depending on the woods used to built it. Punchy mids with ash body/maple neck, they can be really fat with alder body/ rosewood fibngerboard, but you can also do what you want with those pu's just by setting pu's height, large frequencies' range, what else, the nirvana ! sounds warm too ;)

I Use a passive JB5 Fender with an EWS tri-logic preamp, pure tone ....

5. RuleofThump

RuleofThump

Nov 10, 2011
    Wow...that sounds truly awesome!

Damn...they are much more expensive than the Nord's I wanted...there goes my piggybank!!

6. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Larry Pollack will be very helpful if you inquire about his models and ask for input. If you know what you're looking for and it is a standard model, he has a fast turnaround time. There are other less expensive options, but for custom work, it is well worth the $. Larry spent much time with me on the phone answering questions and talking shop.

I ordered a K series dual coil (parallel) and needed a string spacing that was tighter than normal at the centerline of the pickup. The options for the K are many, so I can't generalize about tone, but mine is everything I was looking for- wide range, not too peaky or edgy.