Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aero replacements with Ag OBP-3 in a Smith 6?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Looking for advice/opinions.

I have a Ken Smith 6 that is a really great instrument. Great feel, good action, perfect set up, looks good.... but the electronics, while they are good, just aren't quite what I'm after. This is the best playing bass I've ever owned, so I don't want to part with the wood, but I'm hoping that I can get a little more low end and Funk/fingerstyle prowess out if it.

I'm thinking about a replacement package consisting of a set of Aero K Series Soapbars and an Aguilar OBP-3.

Does this just seem like MASSIVE overkill for what I'm after? My rig consistes of an Alembic F1X into a QSC PLX 3002 into a pair of Epi 112's OR an Epi 212, depending on the gig and the room.

Anyone out there had any experience with Aero Pups?

How about the Aggie OBP-3? I know there are some users in TB land.

Please get in touch.

Thanks!!

2. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Bumpety Bump bump bump

3. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    what are you looking for in tone from your bass?

Electronics switch may be the right thing for you to do.

I have been toying around with different electronics for my basses that i build and have come across a great combination of Aero pickups and the Demeter onboard preamp.

You may want to check it out. I have not tried the aguilar with aero's. that also may be a great combination.

good luck

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have the Agiular op-3 preamp in just about all of my basses now.I dont know if it gives my basses a deeper bottom but what it did do to them was tighten up the low/low-mids i.e.gave the instrument more flexability.I'm starting to hear a lot more about the Aero pups so maybe this might be an option but from what I read in your thread I would assume that you would have some real "earth digging bottom from the rig that you have I use the the same preamp that you use now( had a Demeter) 4x10 SWR Goliath cabinet,the same power amp,and a BBE Maximizer,running thru a JDV Radical engineering DI box.I tried the Epifinani 3x10 closure and also the Bergatino 3x10 enclosure and while they sound very good IMO they did not have the bottom that I was looking for,however they still are great cabinets.