1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aero Type 1 vs Nordstrand NJ4 70's wind?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jared Lash, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The title says it all. Anyone have experience with both of these jazz pickups that could share some thoughts on how they compare?

2. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I have experience with the Aero but not the Nordstrand. Aero is fat with complex midrange. It's my favorite. Seems to work in any setting.

3. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, that fits my experience (on a Lakland DJ4) with the Aeros too. Big lows with some nice grind and a round top end with good treble extension. To me they seem to have an agressiveness that I think works best for rock.

Has anyone tried the Nordstrands and compared the two?

4. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Bump for the chance of more answers.

5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The Nord 70s have less low mids with a higher treble extension. I found them lacking character compared to the Aeros. Although they do a nice slap tone, just not my thing.

6. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Interesting.

Obviously the 70's wind is under wound (a little compared to the normal NJ4's, probably even more compared to the Aeros) so they have less midrange complexity but are more clear I'd suppose.

How were the lows on the Nords?