1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerobie Aeropress coffee maker?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Ruiz, Apr 23, 2010.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I was never a big coffee drinker for a few reasons (work coffee pot is always nasty and different people make it wildly different, you never know if it's gonna be watery or bitter as heck) but was spending $30-40 a month on Monster to keep me going at work. Then I got this awesome coffee maker. I now make myself a couple of delicious cups a day. :D

Anybody else have one of these? For $25 it really makes a better cup than any home or office machine I've used.

Aerobie Aeropress

To think these people specialize in frisbees...

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    There is a solution to this. I call it, make the damn pot yourself. I hate it when the bitter old lady at work makes it, using 2 filters and 2 bags (which make a pot a piece) at a time. It just ends up creating this 'coffee flavored water' which sounds ingenius, but is just plain gross.

3. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    meh, my solution means better coffee and not having to worry about beating everyone else to the coffee machine, cleaning it out, etc.

4. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Clean? Ha, I pour the other pot down the drain.

5. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    You should call the person that made it to your office/cube and throw it on them. It's the only way they'll learn.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You sir, know how to think. I just post mean passive aggressive notes next to the coffee maker essentially calling people who dont know how to make a normal cup of coffee asshats.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ

Hmmmm, I think I'll try one of these.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I've had coffee from an Aeropress. It makes a good cup although like many other coffee guys I disagree with Alan (Adler, the inventor and all-around nice guy) on the best brewing temperature.

bc

9. My dad has one of those and uses it every day, I've not tried coffee from it but he likes good coffee so it must be good!

10. I have been looking at that one for a while now--I haven't quite gotten myself to do it, mainly because I worry that the company might discontinue the product and more importantly, the filters! I know it's fairly baseless but i feel the same way with the keurig coffee maker too

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Some have put Swissgold filters on Aeropresses. It sounds like a good way of giving up the paper filters.

12. thats a good idea--i might try that

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    ooh, now I'm tempted. I had the same reluctance due to the filters.

14. These things make good coffee. Real good coffee.

Right now I'm drinking coffee my parents brought me back from Cuba. Now, I'm a guy that likes his dark roast, with a splash of soy milk and a bit of organic sugar... but I tried making this coffee the way I do any other type, and it was like being punched in the face.

Short story shorter, if you like dark roast/espresso/Americano/anything similar, drink Cafe Cubano (if you go to Cuba :)).

EDIT: The best thing about Aerobie, is that they're a company that's makes flying discs.

15. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Do you like to brew hotter? I've found that water from the fridge heated in the microwave for about 1:40 makes the best flavor for me, though it could stand to be heated again after brewing unless you drink it really quick, which is a little inconvenient. I'm still experimenting with it and getting the technique down, but when I brewed it with much hotter water, there was a bitterness that some people may like, but I enjoy a smooov, buttery cup o joe. Been drinking the Starbucks Caffe Verona blend. It's got a bold, sweet taste. Any suggestions for a nice bean I should pick up? Preferably pre-ground since I don't have a grinder.

Right, so you can toss your Aeropress and a bag of ground beans in your disc bag, carry a thermos of hot water with a built in cup (and preferably red and white striped vinyl for the full Jerk effect) and enjoy a cup before you hit the back nine.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The consensus for brewed coffee in the specialty coffee industry is 195-205 degrees. Cooler results in a sourness and hotter results in bitterness. Same with the Aeropress.

I cannot in good conscience recommend any preground coffee. The best thing you can do right now to improve your coffee is to buy a good burr grinder. Jura-Capresso Infinity, Baratza Maestro, Breville Ikon, Kyocera hand-cranked grinder, etc.. Avoid whirly-blades.

bc

17. seconded!

18. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Does it brew directly into a mug? If so I'd say brewing it into a thermal insulated SS travel mug might solve the problem of having to reheat the coffee after it's brewed.

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have a French Press coffee maker, which is pretty much the same than the Aeropress, and it does brew good coffee. The problem with the Aeropress is the same: cleaning the thing takes a couple of minutes after use. If it came with disposable filters, it would be really nice.

20. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The Aeropress does not work like a French press. It is quick to clean. Part of the ease comes from the fact that it does use disposable filters.

What exactly do you know about it? :p