Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aerodyne buzzing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cossie, May 26, 2005.

1. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hey,

i've been having some trouble with my aerodyne lately, when i turn the 'tone' knob up full, for that more distinctive sound, i start to get a lot of buzzing from my amp.

i've noticed that if i touch the strings when this happens the buzzing stops, and if i take my fingers off the strings it clicks v.briefly and starts buzzing again.

i'm not 100% on electronics but is this a problem with wiring, cos i'm thinking with me touching it i'm earthing something maybe and that's what's stopping the buzz?

i could be completely wrong, and please correct me if i am, it's the only way i'll learn!

its getting really annoying because i have to play with a softer tone than i want to so i can avoid the buzz.

2. Search for another thread on aerodynes, im thinking about getting one in the near future, apparently its because of the P and J combination they are noisey (hum from the J), but you seem to have a grounding issue too (maybe, not sure :S )

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Are both pick ups at the same volume level? My MiM jazz bass does this when I have one pick up at a different volume level than the other.

This is typical of the standard single coil pick ups on MiM Fenders. The Japanese Aerodynes may use the same electronics.

4. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    First off, Joshua...

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum - it never occurred to me to post in pickups :meh:

from my 'investigating' the buzzing only happens when i turn the tone know all the way up, regardless of the volume of each pickups.

i had a similar problem with my first bass, which was a cheapo affinity, i put the problem down to budget gear used in its making...i'm not too happy with the same thing going down with my aerodyne, which was considerably more cash than an affinity.

i don't have a gig until tomorrow night so i'll be checking out everything i can between the hours of the ten minutes after i've posted and the trip to the gig :p

i hope its nothing serious, as its only started to appear, so hopefully its only 'fatigue' that can be sorted out.

5. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Its weird but i appear to have 'fixed' the problem, i put new strings on my bass at the weekend and there was no more buzzing at all - and i tried playing with every combo of pickup and amp settings just to make sure.

its gone now thankfully!

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    maybe a loose ground wire under your bridge?

R

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats weird. I have an aerodyne j bass, and I don't have any problems with noise though a good rig. When i brought it home I played it through my piece of crap $20 gorilla combo, and it sounded kinda noisy. I was tinking I'd have to swap the pups out. Plus, I saw alot of people complaining about how noisy they are. But, when i plugged it into my full rig it sounded amazing. So i concluded that the practice amp is pure garbage and makes anything sound crappy.

Good luck, Hope it doesn't return...Sweet bass man.

8. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    43% Burnt - just wanted to congratulate you on owning a sh1t hot bass :) those aerodynes are the sweetest things;)

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

does sound like a probable bridge ground. What can happen over time is pressure of the bridge on the ground wire pushes it into the wood so that it gets recessed from contacting the bridge. Changing the strings could have altered the pressure so that sufficient contact was made between the ground wire and bridge. If that's the case, it could return at any point.

So unless you want to risk a recurrence in the middle of a gig, it would be a good idea to pull the bridge up and check it. If there's a divit where the wire's been, simply move the bare wire out of it and retighten the bridge. You might want to use just enough scotch tape (or whatever) to secure it so you know it stays put when the bridge is retightened. Just don't cover the bare wire with it.

For future reference, you can check a bridge ground by running a meter from outside the jack to the bridge. If no continuity, you know it's not grounded. If minimal continuity and the meter's good, there's an issue.

10. Warwickman0810

Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    in the long run try to get the pickup cavity shielded. You'd be better off getting it done professionally. you could also change the wiring (i mean the actual pickup wires and all that) and install more expensive wires with less resistance and high conductivity.
    good luck :)