1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerodyne J or disc. American Deluxe J ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike19, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    I am trying to decide buying either an Aerodyne J or the discontinued American Deluxe J. I have played them both for about 15 minutes at GC and I love how they look, sound and feel.

The differences:

Aerodyn

2. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Sorry, my dog hit the submit thing before I was done! :eyebrow:

Aerodyne:
    MIJ - build quality very good

Price new at GC is $800, but I can get it used on eBay for $350 (first version w/ standard jack), $400 for current version (with strat type jack) or $450 for Japan only version (grey w/ black pickguard).

American Deluxe

MIA - build quality excellent; body contour a bit more comfy than the Aero, but the Aero is about 1/3 lb. lighter

Price is $820 at GC for closeout. At present, I can't find any used ones.
    This model has been discontinued (at the end of 2007, I believe). A year ago GC was selling these for $1400. The current model (Jan 2010?) has improved pups and preamp and an active/passive switch and sells for $1500 @ GC.

The tone control on the Aero is adequate, but the 3 band EQ on the Deluxe is def better.

I would appreciate any advice.

3. I liked the archtop body of the Aerodyne. I only sold mine because I bought my Warwick.

4. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    I would go for the Deluxe, hands down.

5. No doubt!

6. Yeah, if you can swing it, get the deluxe!

But, if you wanna save a few hundred bucks, the Aerodyne is still a great bass.

7. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA

Thusly, I vote Am Dlxe.

8. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I like the Japan made Aero because of the pickguard that they put on it. It really helps that basses looks out.

Ive played all the models listed here and to me they all sound like poo so I cant offer you advice on what to buy for sound. The AM dlx will always resell for more.

9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Does this Aerodyne have the P pickup at the neck, or the J pickup? Perhaps it is more versatile?

10. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Thanks to all for the replies.

From a $$$ standoint, I could get a used $800 Aerodyne for $400 (50% discount) or a new $1400 Deluxe for $820 (42% discount).

And yeah , resale value on a Deluxe (MIA) is higher than an Aero (MIJ). I doubt I coud find a used Deluxe for $700 (50% discount).

If I had the $820 (plus $57 for Fla sales tax), I would buy the Deluxe today, mostly because GC has only 1 and I'm afraid someone else will grab it. :eek:

Maybe I'll front the 10% down payment and do a 2 month layaway with GC.

11. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    The only Fender I've ever enjoyed playing was an Aerodyne... too bad they didn't come in 5-strings :(

12. Matt-77

Matt-77

Jun 15, 2007
    Birmingham Uk
    I was looking at the Aerodyne's and read some reviews the thing that put me off is they are suppose to dent really easily due to the wood they use and one guy said the paint job shows every finger mark dent and scratch. I would still like to have one though

13. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'm liking mine. :D

017-1.jpg

14. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I love my Aerodyne. I did swap out the pickups, but not because the stock ones didn't sound good. I just can't stand single coil hum, and then decided that while I was swapping the J, I might as well swap the set. The basswood body is likely to dent more easily, so depending on whether you care about such things, and how rough you're planning on being to it, that might be an issue. The gloss black finish requires wiping down after you're finished playing, as it really shows fingerprints and other smudges. The tuners are excellent (i.e., the bass stays in tune very well). It has the classic bridge, which I personally like, but some folks might want to upgrade. It occasionally bugs me that it doesn't have a toggle switch for the pickups, but that's a personal thing. The P pickup is slightly closer to the neck than the standard P pickup position (maybe a half inch), but I can't say that I notice a significance difference in sound (maybe in a side-by-side test, but not otherwise). Not sure if there's anything else I can tell you about it - hope that helps.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

An irrelevant comment....

I've had a yen for an Aerodyne, but then I found this Schecter C4 and couldn't resist it. To me it looks somewhat similar...sounds great...costs less. I suppose it's the white binding on that glossy black body and neck that puts me in mind of the Aerodyne.

P9120026.jpg
    P9120025.jpg

I now return you the the actual relevant discussion!

16. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    That's a gorgeous Schecter - though the inlays cheeze me out a bit ...

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I know. they're just cheesy enough to be great fun!

18. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    :D

19. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Yo, VW -

Your Aero is a made for Japan only model. Where did you get it?

20. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    just Got it used at a GC near me cheap. It has a few dings and areas where the previous owner weasn't too careful but nothing serious. I also hit a few with a black permanenet sharpie and they are very hard to see now. It does seem to look like it could dent easier because of the softer wood but I would also say that it looks like if you just treat it with regular good respect it's not much of an issue? I had Shaller locks put on it like my other basses and had the luthier dowel and redrilled them so them loosening will never be an issue. So far so good. Has the P bass warmth I was looking for with a little more focus and definition for the highs (DG) as well as a nice slim Jazz neck. Seems decently constructed. I have a MIA Jazz and Precision (Maple/Ash) that I like A LOT but have been looking for something to bridge the gap?

That being said, I think that Black MIM deluxe with the gold anodized looking pickguard looks real sharp. There is a pic in BassPlayer a little while back with Tommy Shannon holding one that well.... Looks kinda cool and low profile. :)

Good luck whatever you wind up doing. :)