Aerodyne Jazz Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jackson Knight, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Jackson Knight

Jackson Knight

Oct 10, 2014
    How is the tone, and isn't it essentially a PJ?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

"Tone" is rather subjective. Personally, I love the tone mine gives me…mellow when I need it, but capable of a bit of aggression like I prefer. And yes, it's absolutely a P/J.

FAJB.jpg
    FenderAerodyneBlackBeauties_zps974f8653.jpg

Danomo likes this.
  3. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    The aerodyne bass (IMO) is one of the most comfortable, and lightweight Fender basses. It covers 90% of the "Fender" sound, again IMO more than any other PJ model.
    My JP-90 (avatar) is its predecessor, the advantage the Aerodyne over it is, it has is the P pup is where it's supposed to be (mine is closer to the bridge).

Unless you are one of those guys who hate painted basswood bound bodies... it's all good. Even at retail ($799), worth every penny, but can often be found used in the mid $400's.

I just missed a $429 CL deal near me, had to pass because of recent guitar acquisitions, but one will be mine... Eventually.

4. The sheer look of it makes me want to revise my dislike of PJ Fenders. It looks like some gun...with everything almost black...like a stealth fighter or something.

Dannnngggg

Danomo likes this.
  5. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
  6. IMO the best looking and sounding PJ on the market. if the prices does not convince you, the lightweight and the super fast neck should do.
    for me the aerodyne brings it all together to be a first choice bass. a true rock´n´roller.

7. My next purchase...if there's gonna be a next purchase. A stunning looking instrument and, more importantly, I'm told they play well.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    These are outstanding basses, really light, sound great. If you are a slap bassist, you'll probably chew up the finish a bit with no pickguard. I like having fretboard position markers, there is a Japanese version that has fretboard dots and a pickguard if you like that look (and i do):
    http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Medium-Aerodyne-Electric-Import/dp/B0016K4Y14/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421243480&sr=8-4&keywords=aerodyne jazz bass

Edit:
    My only criticism having played one of these is that the gunmetal finish control knobs are kind of cheap plastic, but that's purely cosmetic. I'd pull them off and find some metal ones in a matching finish.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's the SR-71 "Blackbird" of the bass guitar world.

lockheed_sr_71_blackbird-1920x1200.jpg

10. They're made of Basswood right?

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yep, basswood with a Rock maple neck and Rosewood FB. I always thought these would look killer with a bound and blocked neck with ebony FB. As far as I know, it's a standard Fender Jazz neck pocket, so you can swap necks if desired.

12. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I love mine and pretty much agree with everything that has been said. The neck is fast and easy and with SS strings it gets nice and aggressive but can be easily tamed. It definitely has its own voice within the Fender spectrum of sound, but is undeniable Fender sounding. No real need to mod theses basses unless you want to add something like a HipShot Xtender. Some will replace the pickups but it really is unnecessary IMO.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021