1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aerodyne replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tullian, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Tullian

Tullian

Aug 10, 2007
    I'm considering replacing the stock Aerodyne (P/J) pickups. Are there any that would be clean, clear and consistent everywhere on the fretboard? I'd also like quiet without having to modify in case I would like to reinstall the originals. I plan to go into mixer/pa speaker with no preamp, eq or effects and my interests are from the old Tull vintage P sound to Hamm's slower melodic tapping.

2. I've changed mine with Dimarzio Model P and Model J. They are death quiet, no modification to bass required.
    With the stock PU's and the fretboard with a small radius, the outer strings(E and G) were closer to the PU's thus produced more volume compared to inner strings (A and D). You can adjust the P (by giving angles) but can't adjust the J. You can just increase the action of E and G string to make all string-to-PU distance equal.

But with Dimarzio Model P and J, you can individually adjust the height which results in a well balanced volume from all 4 strings. I am very happy with Dimarzios. Hope it helps.

3. Tullian

Tullian

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks, It helps alot. My tech like Dimarzio's plus SMASH's review had me considering them. It'll either be a P/U swap or I'll find a Cirrus to trade up for.

4. You might want to check into Bartolinis. Great clean sound.

5. Tullian

Tullian

Aug 10, 2007
    When I find the right Cirrus 4 this Aerodyne will become a fretless and the Bartolinis will deffinately be the choice. In the mean time I'll try to find a local bass with Bartolinis to try.

6. i changed mine to lindy fralins and they sound great :hyper: