1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerodyne Reports, Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewbrown, Jun 5, 2014.

1. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I'm interested in a couple of things I haven't been able to find out about the Fender Aerodyne. If you own one and can fill me in on 1)the weight and 2)the balance of a 4-string long-scale Aerodyne, I'd be grateful for the information. thx.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Someone else will know the exact weight, but I can safely say "Light".
    Balance - they seemed very normally / well balanced to me.

Aerodynes - like the "Pbase Lyte" were very good instruments that just never took off - most folks who want a Fender want a traditional FENDER - and these are a bit funky.

Another thing that hampered them is that at that time, most Fender shoppers were turned off by the made in Japan thing; Since Fender makes the lion's share of their instruments outside the US, that has clearly changed.

If you have a line on either of these basses, they are good instrument that will not disappoint, particularly if you budget some funds for new pickups / electronics (Never fender's strong suit).

matthewbrown likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Mine was maybe 8 pounds and and balanced perfectly with a 1.5 inch strap.

matthewbrown likes this.
  4. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    This is good information, and thank you -- I will definitely check one out.

5. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Perfectly balanced, very comfortable to play.

6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    The only thing I don't like is the hard edges. I prefer rounded edges. Otherwise they are pretty nice. A lot if people swap out pups, but that's about it.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Mine is 8 yrs old now and weighs in at just over 8 Lbs...balance is very even strapped and shouldered.
    I really like the Aerodyne. Mine is a PJ/jazz neck, black with the Strat socket. It's never hiccuped or
    missed a beat and plays and sounds fantastic.

matthewbrown likes this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I have the standard Export Aerodyne…all black, cream binding, no pickguard and the Strat-jack. Mine weighs in at 8.5lbs exactly. It'd probably weigh an ounce or so less, but I installed a Hipshot BT10 Drop-D tuner.

As far as balance goes, I discovered I could balance it at the neck joint on three fingers with the front/top facing forward (as in, how it would sit while playing). The damn thing just hovers there! Now that's what I call "balance"!

Ergonomically speaking, I really lucked out. It seems my hands feel most comfortable with a tighter fretboard radius and mine has the vintage 7.25" radius. Not bad for my first-ever bass purchase. It's a keeper!

SpanishDave likes this.