1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerodyne tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ulynch, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I have a 2002-ish Aerodyne, and I'm not a fan of the tuners. I'd like to find replacements with finer gear teeth, and in black finish like the stock tuners. I'd like to re-use the existing tuner screw holes too though.

I can't for the life of me figure out who manufactures tuners that meet these criteria.

Can anyone help?

2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    The Aeros use Gotoh GB1 tuners... which are available in black IIRC. I don't think there's another product that will use the same holes.

3. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Thanks Marko. Looking at the Gotoh, and comparing it to the stock tuners, there's the same number of teeth on the gear. Any idea if anyone makes one with finer gearing?

4. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    Hipshot? I ditched mine and put in 3/8th ultralites in mine and it is a drastic improvement.

5. bungletrpg

bungletrpg

Aug 8, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    I have an Aerodyne so this makes me curious. What do you see wrong with the gears?

6. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I have several Aeros and have never felt the tuners were are issue. I understand if someone is sensitive to weight (or OCD about it), otherwise they're better than what you get on a lot of instruments in the <1000$ range.

bungletrpg likes this.
  7. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    It's mainly one tuner (the A string). There's a lot of backlash in the gear mechanism. The others don't have this, but I'm not a fan of how coarse the gearing is. Mostly though, I'd like to get rid of the backlash. I've disassembled that tuner, and there are no obvious problems in assembly. Backlash remains after re-assembly.

8. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I have a set of Hipshot ultralites laying around, and I'd use them, but my preference is to maintain the same screw holes, and the smoked metal look. I still haven't found a manufacturer that makes a direct replacement for the Aerodyne keys, with finer gearing and in black. I've got a set of Gotoh Res-o-lites on another instrument, and I love the 28:1 ratio.

neal davis likes this.
  9. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Yes, I'm resurrecting a zombie thread, but it's mine :)

Since there's no direct replacement for the Aerodyne tuners with a higher gear ratio, I fiddled more to remove the slack in the A string tuner. What ended up working pretty well was simply flipping the gear over. There's a shoulder milled into the "top" of the gear that is facing up on the other three tuners. Facing it down toward the headstock lifts the gear up just a hair. It's enough that the gear makes better contact with the worm now and the slack is greatly reduced. I'm happy.