1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerodyne vs P bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cessna928, May 6, 2010.

1. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    I've really wanted a P/J type bass since I can remember, and have always had my eye on a P bass special. But I see that an aerodyne is almost identical superficially, and that raises some questions.

What are the differences between an Aerodyne and P bass special?

The specials I've handled all have alder bodies and jazz necks along with active electronics and a p/j pickup setup. Are the aerodyne basses the same thing with a different paint job? Are they lighter (in weight obviously) lending to to "Aero" prefix?

Please shed some light on the subject for me oh wise TBers, I'm all ears.

P.S. Thanks ahead of time for the knowledge!

2. i have a japanese non export aerodyne (im a lefty) and compared to my fender jazz the weight difference is VERY noticeable i havent got them on the scale to compare but it is much lighter. the aerodyne has a carved top which changes the feel for my plucking arm just a bit. ive never played a p bass special so i cant give a good direct comparison but i can say i really enjoy my aerodyne and the jazz has been seeing a lot of case time lately

3. Some (maybe all, not sure) of the Aerodynes have a basswood body, which would explain the weight difference.