Aerosmith's Dream on octave effect ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Listened to this song litteraly hundreds of time and only recently "heard" the effect around 3:45, repeated 3 times afterwards. Is it really an octave pedal or effect added during mixing, or is just playing a chord ? Not sure that octave pedals were often used on bass in those days...or were they ?

2. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    (I think) that's a double stop (root + fifth) on the Db (F Eb Db). Live Hamilton sometimes plays root-fifth-octave power chords in that section (for all the chords).

Bassmike62 and johnk_10 like this.
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    it's definitely a double stop.

Bassmike62 and RockDoc like this.
  4. Yeah, I remember the first time I noticed that was only a few years back, in spite of being a big fan and having the album since about 1977. I was listening on headphones and playing along and it totally leapt out at me - :woot:!

As I highlighted in the quotes, I play double stops like they said.

Fun and easy song to play.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021